Wheels that will clear the big brakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels that will clear the big brakes?

anomatrix

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Hey all please help!

I've got a new 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum with the OEM 20" Bright painted wheels, and I'm starting to look into winter wheels and tires. I've Googled all over but not finding much luck with these 2 issues:

The TPMS. Are these the same as previous years? What frequency range? Rock Auto has 3 different partslisted - F2GT1A180AB, F2GZ1A189A which are 315MHz, and another set that are 433MHz. Can anyone shed some light on which work? And if you buy a set online, do you need a special tool to relearn the system?

Also, the brakes. What is the minimum radius that will clear? 17" apparently won't as I purchased a local used set of 17" steelies that will not fit.

TIA

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The TPMS sensors appear to be the same as in the 2016/17 models. F2GZ-1A189-A. AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories. As for the wheels, if yours are 255/50R20 then the 18" wheel will fit. I have the 18" Interceptor steel wheels that I also used on my previous 2014 MKT. A 235/65R18 is an exact match for the 20". 255/50-R20 vs 235/65-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World This forum has several posts on this subject. You can use the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right to find them. Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations
Swapping 20" wheels for 18"?

Peter

Back