Where are the Mustang guys? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are the Mustang guys?

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I've been sifting through car ads for the last few months. I had thought about buying an F150 or Ranger back when the 2011 rebates were crazy, but ultimately decided not to go through with it because I just wasn't sure. After a lot of thought, I decided I wanted another toy. Specifically, I wanted a black or azure blue '03 or '04 Mach 1 Mustang with low miles. Well, it turns out that those are very hard to find, haha. I found a promising candidate a couple of hours away, but was never able to get any calls returned. It was an '04 black Mach 1 with 39k miles for $14,500. To make a long story short, I started expanding my search to include GTs with the idea that I would only get a GT if I felt like no other deal was going to come along. I'm feeling that way now. Earlier this evening, I drove a 2003 black on black GT Deluxe. It was a nice car. In fact, I filled out a credit app and everything, but it was too late to hear anything back, so I won't know until tomorrow. I guess it works out pretty good though because I can get some last minute information and opinions.

Mustang GT Deluxe
Black Exterior
Black Leather Interior
Mach Audio
71,000 miles
Stock Everything
Clean Carfax - 2 Previous Owners
KBB Suggested Retail: $11,480
Asking Price: $10,400
1st Negotiation: $9900
Final Negotiation: $9400

They also offered $2900 for my '01 Explorer with 155k miles. I've done quite a bit to it, but market value on it is only $2500-$3000, so I guess that's pretty fair.

When all is said and done, I'll be paying $6825 difference with taxes, fees, etc.

The car is clean, but it does have a few imperfections as expected of an '03 model car. Mainly, it's the front and rear bumpbers. The rear has a spider web crack in the clear about the size of a baseball. The front bumper has a softball sized scrape on one corner and whoever had it last had a licence plate on the front, which I hate. I'll probably get both repainted at some point because it will drive me crazy. The headlights are super foggy, as were the ones on my old 2000 GT. That's nothing that $100 and ebay can't fix though... hello smoked headlights. The interior is super clean as well as the engine. The car runs and shifts smooth (autotragic), but for some reason, it doesn't feel like it has as much power as my old 2000 GT. It could just be that I'm used to the low end torque of my 5.0 Explorer with 4.10s though. Oh, the car also has brand new General Altimax HP tires. That'll be an expensive smoke show. The 245s will go in favor of some 305 or 315s.

Anyway, what's the verdict? Does it seem like a fair price? Here are some crappy pictures pulled from the stealership's website.

Stang1.jpg

Stang2.jpg

Stang3.jpg

Stang4.jpg

Stang5.jpg

Stang6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where are you located? you should go to autotrader.com and type in your zip code and see what others are going for in the same condition. i love those mustangs, my brother has one, and my sister had the 99 before a drunk driver wrecked hers. the only thing is i would get a stick, but thats all preference. good luck on your buy!

I took a sheet full of Mustangs from AutoTrader with me to the dealership. It seems to be priced fairly competitively. It's a tad bit higher than others within a 100 mile radius, but I have rules when it comes to a Stang. It has to be black or silver... unless it's a Mach1 and it can be azure blue. It seems that black on black is becoming increasingly harder to find. It's even harder to find a 10-year-old Stang that hasn't been modified, so those are things I'm cosidering despite the fact that this one is priced about $500-$750 over the others around here. Granted, I'll run right out and throw an exhaust on it, get a tune, etc., but I'd like to know that I'm the one to abuse it.

Well, the credit app was approved. So, unless something changes between now and the time my wife gets home, I think I'm going to go pick it up this evening.

The Explorer is no more.

Shame you couldn't get the Mach..big difference between it and a GT.

Enjoy the car!! I love my '04. However, I'd suggest going no wider than 275's on the back of the car. You'll notice the lack of power if you go wider. Stock my Mach had 245's on it all around, and I went to 315's on the rear..and promptly back to 275's. The rotating mass of the larger tires definitely slowed the car down.

I wanted a Mach so bad, but there were just no nice ones available with a decent price within driving distance. To be honest, this Mustang is nothing more than a stepping stone. I'll be one of the first ones in line at my local dealer when the 50th anniversary hits the floor. Until then, this will be fun. I'll probably do intake, exhaust, gears, tune, tint, wheels, and lowering springs and call it a day.

Those are nice, no doubt.

There were two GT500s at the dealership. I started to tell them that our deal depended on whether or not they would let me take one for a drive... but I figured they didn't care that much about selling the '03 GT, lol.

Car looks good! I will always be a Mustang guy, I have owned 9 Stangs over the years. I have a done a couple of auto to stick conversions over the years. A mustang to me just has to be stick.

They never made the one I wanted, an auto 03/04 cobra convertible. (Stop and go traffic is a constant around here). Even a Mach 1 convertible would have been nice from the same era.

Ended up with a silver 01 gt convert, it was 1/3 of the price of the cobras @ the time.

Car looks good! I will always be a Mustang guy, I have owned 9 Stangs over the years. I have a done a couple of auto to stick conversions over the years. A mustang to me just has to be stick.

I agree. The only valid reason for an automatic is if the driver has their left leg amputated at the knee, or higher. :)

That was a nice clean GT Rondo. Crappy about what happened. I had an '87 notchback for 17 years before I sold it. It was originally a slushomatic but after I fried that I converted it. Over the years I rebuilt the engine (B303 cam, home ported E7 heads, etc etc), rear, 3 clutches, built my own rear disc brake set-up, many other mods... Actually once bought it back from my insurance company after my wife spun it in a rain storm into a pole and a ditch. Stripped the car and built it again with a clean 4 cyl body. Did a custom windshield install, improved the look of the thing I thought. In the end I sold it when I had to move. I didn't want to store it for years and then come back to it. The old beast was getting a bit soft in a couple places and was going to need some work anyway, someone is hopefully enjoying it still.

Oh, it dynoed at a hp per cube. I thought that was pretty good for the amount of money I put into it.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 215
  • mustang1.jpg
    mustang1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 248

Thanks. Nice looking stang. Bet you wish you still had it!

I would love to have an '86 notch. I absolutely love the bug eyes and notches are the best Foxes, imo.

Here's another shot of the '03 after it received the full detail treatment. I stripped the old wax, claybarred, polished, and waxed it. I also installed a Mach 1 chin spoiler, grille delete kit, and smoked headlights, but you can't see much from this angle.

After2.jpg

Oh crap, how'd those power lines get on my roof? It must be all of this wind lately.

After3.jpg

We still have our '06 mustang. It is Yolanda's daily driver.

Its a v6 Pony packge (manual trans) that we have slowly changed..
It now sports....
Mustang GT hood (just needed another hood)
Mustang Gt front bumper/grill/fogs
Mustang Gt rear axle with Trac Lok and 3.55:1
Saleen Suspension
Mustang Gt exhaust

We were thinking of replacing it since she wants more power but we could take the down payment for a new mustang and rebuild the motor for more power and change the trans out to a Mustang GT 3650 trans and come out ahead since after the down payment we would still be paying $400-$500 a month for 3-5 years..

How she looked when we brought her home in Late 2005.
4603867955_f339bc54bc_z.jpg

06 mustang by maniak_az, on Flickr

How she looks now..
5723967111_5470b41833_z.jpg

GT grille and bumper on our v6 pony package mustang by maniak_az, on Flickr

5724063115_de09facd58_z.jpg

dual exhaust on our 2006 v6 pony package mustang by maniak_az, on Flickr

Not bad for > 185k miles. She does need some clay bar action and there are chips in the paint. The scary fact. Over > 6500 of the miles are on dirt. :)

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back