• Register Today It's free!

where to wheel?

FHfirefighter

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
ok, i'm relatively new to offroading and 4x4 ownership (had the x for a little over a year now) and I was wondering exactly how to go about finding places to wheel...the best i've been able to do is going down random trails and roads i happen to run across (which are probably private property) or lots that are being cleared for new businesses and subdivsions. so i guess i have 2 questions: generaly, is there some sort of resource or list available on the web of places to go?
and more specifically, does anyone know of a good place near either charlotte, nc or columbia, sc?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were you i'd get on the net and look for some local 4x4 clubs. I would imagin there would be a few around where you live. Even here in my hole in the wall crap town there are a couple. I'm probably going to join one here as soon as I get my new tires...whenever that'll be since it looks like my master clutch cylinder is foobared...

Good Luck
CP :)

Another North Carolinian! I was at UNCC for a year, do you live around there? The closest place to wheel that I know of is Uwharrie, and from here, its about a 45 minute drive. I forget the exact way to get there, but you can search online for it and get directions, its not difficult to get to at all. Another place to go is Tellico, but that is just a little bit farther away, about 4 hours. There is actually a run being planned for October, you can read about it here, if you would be interested in going. And its not incredibly difficult to get to either. If you'd be interested in going, maybe we could set it up where I could meet you somewhere along the way and then just follow the rest of the way. I am sure someone would have an open seat for you to ride along! Or if you want to take your Explorer on the trails, that would be even better. Good luck!

appreciate the advice...yeah, i figured the national forests would be recommended but i'm a little apprehensive about taking my (mostly stock) truck on some of those trails and embarrassing myself or (worse) messing something up...
Limited Ex, tellico sounds cool but it's a little far for me to go at this point in my life. i may head up to uwharrie though if i can find some time and some people to go with...I actually live in south carolina, just south of charlotte (by "just south", i mean a couple of feet, literally) but i'm going to school at usc, in columbia, sc, about an hour south of there...

Here in Virginia the George Washington National Forest has relatively mild trails. I have driven them in a stock X or Ranger. Of course there some side trails which are a bit more demanding, but overall they are fine for a stock X. On sunny dry days you should not have any problems. Plan you trips, topozone.com will give you the USGS topo maps with all the trail, they may not all be passable.

Back