Where's the Battery Saver Relay?

zfinger

Reaction score
City, State
Poland Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8
1997 XLT V8

Windows, dome lights, wipers and overhead info thing dont work. Did some searching, replaced fuse #27, didn't work. Now I got a new battery saver relay, and I know its in the dash, but where in the dash? If its one of the ones in the box to the top right of the gas pedal then its not my relay because I swapped the new one into each spot, it's probably the GEM.

Where is the battery saver relay? Is it one of the ones I found already?

So I pulled out every relay in that box above the gas pedal with the truck running and nothing happened that I could see from under there. I also put the multimeter on every tab and didnt get 12v out of any of them.

I pulled the door panel off and all the switches visually look ok. My locks still work so with a multimeter I got 12v from there, and every wire going to window switches worked as a ground. Thats not right is it?

Is it down to the GEM now?

I checked my 98 explorer wiring diagram manual. You checked the right relay box above the gas pedal.

I agree it is the GEM module.

Dean

Im second guessing the GEM module for now. The thing sat for a while next to a barn, and has a horrible dead animal smell. I'm gonna rip most of the interior out, something may have chewed the wires somewhere. Trying to connect the dots.

Are all GEM modules the same? Would a GEM, say from a 99 4.0 work? Are they universal or does I need one right from a 97 V8 like I have?

Back