Which shocks should i go with? Need help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks should i go with? Need help

If possible, please take before and after pics of the REAR with a tape measure.

It would be very nice to settle this lift vs. no lift "debate" once and for all. :thumbsup:

:ttiwwp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dweeberman I just posted in the other thread Monroe info for you.

Dersh if you're just going to get ranchos, I'd say do it on all 4 corners for uniformity.

thanks strunner. i really want to run the sensatrac in the back. what should i do upfront then? anything you can recommend? i didnt see any sensa tracs made for the front.

If possible, please take before and after pics of the REAR with a tape measure.

It would be very nice to settle this lift vs. no lift "debate" once and for all. :thumbsup:

:ttiwwp:

haha i will do that! it should be about march when i get around to it after income tax return time! but i will try and get back to here with pics and measurements if not my build thread in my signature will have all the stuff i have my measurements from before the tt/ shackles in there too.

i still have no clue what shocks to do upfront though the rancho rs5000 seems to be a keeper as a few have said it does get lift, but i want someone to chime in and say what they tried and if it lifted at all.

The Ranchos did not give me any lift and I claim that with 100% certainty. Nice shock though.

The Ranchos did not give me any lift and I claim that with 100% certainty. Nice shock though.

thanks for the feeback trac. anyone else?

Currently running Pro Comp ES9000 shocks. Rear part no: 924509 (for up to 3" inch). They are decent shocks, lifetime warranty the 4wheelparts and were super cheap when I purchased them. Considering the Monroe Sensa Trac, assuming they will be a better on road shock considering the added coil. Is it safe to assume they will work fine with ARB OME lifted leafspring pack and Warrior Shackles IF they compressed and extended lengths are basically the same??

Procomp:
Internal Design: Twin-tube
Adjustable: No
Gas Charged: Yes
Extended Length (in): 24.840 in.
Collapsed Length (in): 14.820 in.
Bushing Material: Rubber

VS

Monroe Sensa Trac

Upper Mounting Code Cross Pin Mount - Closed Ended, 5/16" Hole ID (Both Ends) X 2.7/8" Pin Length (Hole Center to Center)
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 12MM Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
Compressed Length 15.500"
Extended Length 25.125"
Travel Length 9.625"
Spring (Rate) 37

I realize this isnt rocket science, any pro's or con's? Specs appear to be the same??

I went with the pro comps after torsion twist, warrior shackles etc - had been running the Edelbrock IAS performance shocks before any mods. The Edelbrocks were fantastic improvement over stock but horrendous after the lift. Since the Monroe's are spec'd for non-lifted Explorer I am trying to make sure I am not missing anything before I spend $100 and a few hours of my time replacing them. Also curious if running mis-matched shocks would have a negative effect.... Yeah I over think things

i still have no clue what shocks to do upfront though the rancho rs5000 seems to be a keeper as a few have said it does get lift, but i want someone to chime in and say what they tried and if it lifted at all.
The standard Monroe Sensa Trac shocks are notoriously soft and cushy.
Using them in the front would be a complete mismatch with the rear 58617
Load Adjusting shocks that are known to be very firm. The logical choice for your
TT front would be the Rancho RS5374 Maximum Travel shock made for up to 2.5" lift.
Any height you gain in the front would be due to your severely worn front shocks.

EDIT- Meant "Any height you gain in the front would be due to weakened TORSION BARS." (Not shocks)

http://www.gorancho.com/assets/application_pdf/RanchoSuspension_MaxTravel.pdf

Load Adjusting shocks that are known to be very firm. The logical choice for your
TT front would be the Rancho RS5374 Maximum Travel shock made for up to 2.5" lift.
Any height you gain in the front would be due to your severely worn front shocks.

In this case, being that my sport is more or less a 95-01 explorer, I should be able to use these as well, correct? I believe i should, but looking at the front shocks side by side, the regular 5000's to the max travels, the max travels look "beefier"..but the picture could be deceiving i guess.

In this case, being that my sport is more or less a 95-01 explorer, I should be able to use these as well, correct? I believe i should, but looking at the front shocks side by side, the regular 5000's to the max travels, the max travels look "beefier"..but the picture could be deceiving i guess.
If in doubt, call Rancho to confirm fitment. For future reference when
ordering parts and your '03 Sport isn't shown, the Job 2 '01-05 Sport
Trac is identical to 2001-03 two door Sports from the "B" pillar forward. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622504&postcount=9

i had a freshly built 4 dr leaf pack in my Sport with a long AAl saggy ass syndrome wasnt an issue for me, i had to literaly jack up the truck and the load adjusters to get them to bolt in they are that much longer and beefier than standard shocks i achieved 1.5 inches additional lift just with the load adjusters

hmmm.. well ill take your word for it 100 percent. Looks like I might have to toss a pair on on my truck and see what happens. :D

wish i had a before pic but heres a buds 01 Sport it had dead shocks and a rear sag so bad i swore his bumper dragged we used an oem cheap shock up front and Warrior shackles and load adjusters in the rear with a mild tt then threw on 275 tires just a cheap throw together to get him through the winter

a7abea65-d18d-4b80-ad11-b1b75cfb3df1_zps44a52f6b.jpg

you can see the arch in the leafs clearly in these pics they were totaly flat before the shocks were installed

IMG-20120929-00060.jpg

the link u attached is the rs5000s so your saying get those but just the 2.5" lift ones? (since i have the TT upfront)

the link u attached is the rs5000s so your saying get those but just the 2.5" lift ones? (since i have the TT upfront)
RS5000 is the shock SERIES. RS5229 for front stock ride height, RS5374 for lifted. Simple.

Keep in mind that your sway bar won't allow stock length shocks to overextend, let alone ones intended for lift.

Keep in mind that your sway bar won't allow stock length shocks to overextend, let alone ones intended for lift.

so i should get the lifted ones verse the stock ones?

Couple things to think about:
Is the travel longer on the longer shocks or are they the same?
What's the price difference?
If the travel is longer it may save you later if you decide to go with more lift. But like Offtrac said, the front sway bar will not let the stock shocks extend all the way out even if your wheel is off the ground. Also with the TT there is very little chance you will bottom out the shocks either. A 2" TT honestly leaves very little room for flex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock shocks actually limit the down travel of your suspension so you dont rip up cv's every 2 weeks

Back