-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

At 1 amp, I’d run them strictly off of the reverse light circuit. That amount of load is a non-issue. Way less wiring, and points of failure.
Not a horrible idea, may try that out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still ain't found a good set of f150 leafs from the junkyard yet, but I found something else interesting? I've never seen a second gen with a ranger bumper in person, looks decently nice though. Also, these shackles, not 100% on how safe they are, but they're over an inch longer than the warrior shackles. That and the freaking hitch setup, such a creative truck, sad to see wrecked.

20220121_093432.jpg 20220121_093441.jpg 20220121_093300.jpg 20220121_102812.jpg 20220121_093249.jpg 20220121_093254.jpg

At some point your shackles just become something to drag, and become a hinderance. If you really need a bracket style lift in the rear that’s taller than the warriors, I’d rather fabricate new front hangers.

That hitch looks pretty standard, and is what’s on my Mounty, except I also welded where the center tube meets the outside brackets, because I didn’t trust not breaking those bolts with excessive tongue weight.

At some point your shackles just become something to drag, and become a hinderance. If you really need a bracket style lift in the rear that’s taller than the warriors, I’d rather fabricate new front hangers.

That hitch looks pretty standard, and is what’s on my Mounty, except I also welded where the center tube meets the outside brackets, because I didn’t trust not breaking those bolts with excessive tongue weight.
I agree on the hitch, can't say I've seen the reciever sit lower like that until today,. And yeah, the warriors honestly are enough usually. I may for laughs and giggles throw these on to see how they looked, but I'd rather stick with the warriors until I swap to some f150 leafs. Spare metal from those junk shackles though, without costing extra, so no complaints

Yeah, now that you mention it, I bet those are side brackets from a different truck. My hitch doesn’t hang that low, it almost touches the bumper.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I bet those are side brackets from a different truck. My hitch doesn’t hang that low, it almost touches the bumper.
Okay, so maybe it is a bit unnatural then. Mine does the same, sits right below the bumper

What do y'all think of a dual hitch reciever for my standard hitch (mostly as a recovery point) and for a spare tire carrier? The reciever is rated up to 5000 lbs, which I shouldn't even ever get close to for just about anything I do. But when I switch to 32s in the next couple months, I won't be able to fit the spare down below the truck. Do think I'm going to get an aftermarket bumper with a swing out carrier later, just don't have the funds for that sort of thing right now. These are the ones I'm currently looking at, first is the carrier, second is the reciever. If anyone has any links to the equipment for relocating the tag onto the spare, please send some, or other suggestions for the tire mounting while keeping my hitch until I can afford a better bumper.

I definitely wouldn’t consider pulling on one of those. I’d build some D-Rings onto the hitch, and I’d also beef up the frame in the rear. Where the hitches bolt to is actually fairly anemic.

I definitely wouldn’t consider pulling on one of those. I’d build some D-Rings onto the hitch, and I’d also beef up the frame in the rear. Where the hitches bolt to is actually fairly anemic.
That bad of an idea, huh? Not a horrible idea to add D-Rings, but the idea was to keep my hitch as, well, let's call it insurance. It's a four way hitch, three sizes and a hook; use the hook for recovery, or for insurance that if someone rear ends me, I'm holdin' 'em or at least ripping their stuff away if they try. Had a guy just a couple hours ago on the way home almost test that plan. That's why I was more leaning towards the dual receiver, tire and mount shouldn't put too much strain on the top one I don't believe, and I can still stay cheaper route and keep my current hitch. But I do agree, not a bad idea to look into reinforcing the frame back there too, especially if I did this. And just to add on a little, rarely do I get the chance to go out trailing with other people (or when I do, usually it's not something that's going to help much), so I don't usually chance going into anything I'll be stuck in, so I'm not too worried about being pulled out of anything right now. Or if I was, I can always just hop out and switch the hitch setup around so I'm not using the dual thing, if its seriously needed. And I apologize for this being a good amount to read, just trying to give the whole spectrum around the idea.

The extra leverage would be an issue if it wasn’t a straight pull.

The extra leverage would be an issue if it wasn’t a straight pull.
So the best bet is still to just scratch my hitch or hold off for a new bumper, kind of figured that's where it'd end up. Appreciate the input

You could make that work with a few caveats. I wouldn’t put a lot of side load on it, and you’d have to come up with a way to keep the extension from wobbling all over the place.

You could make that work with a few caveats. I wouldn’t put a lot of side load on it, and you’d have to come up with a way to keep the extension from wobbling all over the place.
I've got some time to continue looking into it, definitely don't want it to wobble too much

With a spare tire in the top half it’d clank all around as you drive. Receiver attachments are terribly loose fits.

With a spare tire in the top half it’d clank all around as you drive. Receiver attachments are terribly loose fits.
They make some things for the hitch that steady the connection for that exact thing. Now I don't expect it to be crazy effective for a tire carriers weight, but I may try it, can always return the stuff via amazon and try something else

I’d weld beads on two sides of the receiver and grind them until it fits snug. I used to hammer a wedge in my dirt bike carrier, but it still rocked pretty good.

I’d weld beads on two sides of the receiver and grind them until it fits snug. I used to hammer a wedge in my dirt bike carrier, but it still rocked pretty good.
Dang, even still huh? I don't figure I'll be able to 100% save it from wobbling at least a little. Just rather have a spare that wobbles a little for a couple months than no spare at all until I can get the swing out. Just knowing my luck, rather not chance having no spare. My brother does some welding, maybe I can convince him to try that out

Wobbling isn’t a big deal, as long as it’s not clanking around.

Wobbling isn’t a big deal, as long as it’s not clanking around.
Oh yeah, it starts doing that and it comes off asap. I ain't breaking crap if I ain't got to. I only need it to last me until this summer or maybe just before, I'll redneck something with it if I have to. Long enough to keep my savings up nicely and still have enough on the side to afford the rear (hopefully the front as well) bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some edits to get the basic idea of the planned setup. 32" Nitto Grapplers and 16x8" Pro Comps either series 252 (second image) or 69 (last image). The 69 has no offset with the stock backspacing while the 252 has -6.00mm of offset and 4.250 in. of backspacing. Which do y'all think looks better? Also the 69 is graphite while the 252 is steel, so my preference already leans towards the 252 for that.

20220110_133222.jpg PicsArt_02-01-06.40.31.jpg PicsArt_02-01-07.07.47.jpg

Back