Who knows about Suzuki Samurais??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who knows about Suzuki Samurais???

Hey!! Were in this together!! or at least you and my brother. We're picking up a Samurai this weekend. Same color as yours, same body style just more rust :( ahaha

Awesome man. Well, you will have to let me know how it goes before I buy this one ;) Are you guys building it up or keeping it stock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome man. Well, you will have to let me know how it goes before I buy this one ;) Are you guys building it up or keeping it stock?
Oh I thought you were buying it already :D

But yeah sure, I'll let you know how it goes. But what could possibly go wrong with a vehicle? Have it explode with me in it? :D

The plan is to turn it into a trail rig but legal enough to hit the street and highway -- cauz we only have one trailer and thats for my Explorer .. so this Samurai needs to be able to get to the trails on its own.

Carbureted vehicles are usually easier to get running. Not as much electrical stuff to go wrong. You need (the correct amount of) fuel, spark and compression. First off since many people are used to crank and go with FI vehicles, it easy to forget you have to mash the gas pedal a few times to prime it in carb vehicles. Check the manual for correct starting procedure. Check if its got a hidden kill switch etc.

Now if you're sure you're doing it right and not missing the obvious...(doh!)

Get a spark checker and check for spark. Go between coil wire and (good) ground. See if spark is produced while cranking. It should be bright and blue. If not you got a spark issue (in coil or module/points that triggers it) If it is then go between a plug wire and the cap and you should have the same result but the spark will be slower (you see individual cyl firing instead of all) This checks to make sure dist is good.

Next go on to fuel. Unless its obvious its getting gas (not likely if spark is good and its not running) Get some good ol starting fluid and give it a good shot in the carb. If it fires a few times or backfires (watch out don't get your eyebrows singed off) then you have a fuel problem.

If it still wont start, get a compression tester and check all the cylinders. If its got no compression you're looking at major engine work.

If it's been sitting for a long time then i'd suspect fuel. Gas turns to brown goo faster than you might expect. Also bring a battery charger or jump box b/c if you have to do a lot a cranking the probably already low battery will die. I have no experience with samurai's but engines are all based on the same principles...so I hope this helps. Good luck with it.

-Ted

Carbureted vehicles are usually easier to get running. Not as much electrical stuff to go wrong. You need (the correct amount of) fuel, spark and compression. First off since many people are used to crank and go with FI vehicles, it easy to forget you have to mash the gas pedal a few times to prime it in carb vehicles. Check the manual for correct starting procedure. Check if its got a hidden kill switch etc.

Now if you're sure you're doing it right and not missing the obvious...(doh!)

Get a spark checker and check for spark. Go between coil wire and (good) ground. See if spark is produced while cranking. It should be bright and blue. If not you got a spark issue (in coil or module/points that triggers it) If it is then go between a plug wire and the cap and you should have the same result but the spark will be slower (you see individual cyl firing instead of all) This checks to make sure dist is good.

Next go on to fuel. Unless its obvious its getting gas (not likely if spark is good and its not running) Get some good ol starting fluid and give it a good shot in the carb. If it fires a few times or backfires (watch out don't get your eyebrows singed off) then you have a fuel problem.

If it still wont start, get a compression tester and check all the cylinders. If its got no compression you're looking at major engine work.

If it's been sitting for a long time then i'd suspect fuel. Gas turns to brown goo faster than you might expect. Also bring a battery charger or jump box b/c if you have to do a lot a cranking the probably already low battery will die. I have no experience with samurai's but engines are all based on the same principles...so I hope this helps. Good luck with it.

-Ted

Man, thanks alot. This is all good stuff that I didnt know. When I check It out I will look at all the things you mentioned. Hopfully it is somthing real easy to pinpoint. I have never worked on carbureted vehicles except for lawn movers and gopeds:p:

oh yea, heres what its butt looks like:D

Zuk5.jpg

Working on carbureted vehicles isn't bad at all. Especially the samurai. Its like a lawnmower with 3 more cylinders about 5 more HP and some emission control crap. lol

When you go out and see what's going on and get it narrowed down to one subsystem (fuel, spark, compression) then I can give you some more detailed info if you need it. Glad I can help.

-Ted

oh yea, heres what its butt looks like:D

Zuk5.jpg
That's exactly what ours looks like .. but we've been doing so much cutting in the past few days.. the entire floor behind the front seats, the rear bumper and the rear cross member are gone ... tomorrow new 2"x4" 1/4" wall cross members is going to be welded to the rear of the frame rails and right under the firewall.. these are going to be the mounts for both the roll cage and the rock sliders. The gas tank was also removed and ditched cauz we plan on making our own gas tank and mounting it higher away from rocks. I'll take pics and start a thread on it hopefully tomorrow.

BTW before we started cutting it up, I drove it off road for a little bit. It out climbed a lifted 4-door Blazer and a lifted Nissan pickup due to its very short wheel base. The Blazer and the pickup high centered where as the Samurai just kept onnnnn going :D

That's exactly what ours looks like ..

Sweet. We can be Zuki buddies ;). Let me know how yours goes, it will totally help me with mine. Was the floor rusted out on yours?

-IZwack, what are your plans for it? Keeping it stock or beefin it up?

For mine....getting it running would be the first priority. Does anyone know of good websites for aftermarket (general and offroad) parts for zuks? I googled it and didn’t find much. hey, kinda like explorers haha. I wana wait to see how the four banger does before I plan on mods. I don’t think I would go over 31"s especially if I want it as my DD street car.

-IZwack, what are your plans for it? Keeping it stock or beefin it up?
Beefing it up but not too big. Our plan is to put maybe 31" or so tires on it.

We're doing an SOA on both axles. A removable 6-point roll cage will be bent up hopefully this weekend. The body will hang on this roll cage so if the roll cage is removed, the body goes with it. Wheel wells have been enlarged and new wheel well covers will be bent up and welded on next week.

We're probably going to weld up the rear differential and we haven't really thought about the front differential yet -- probably going to keep it open for now to keep costs down.

The frame rail on the Zuk is 2x4 with about a 1/8" wall (probably less). We decided to cut and replace the rear crossmember (the one right in front of the hatch) with a 2x4-1/4 wall tube to try to add some weight to the back since theres literally nothing much pushing down on the rear axle. Along with this, rock sliders as mentioned before to protect the body a little bit.

We're also going to try to brace at least the rear axle since these axles are stamped steel.

After all this is done, some bumpers will be made up -- havent really though about the design of this yet but something simple.

The engine will be kept stock since theres plenty of grunt in it in 4LO.

The vehicle will see some highway miles as we do not have a trailer for it. So with that in mind, it must be road worthy.

Sounds pretty awesome, Ill defiantly check out your thread when you start one. I like the idea of relocating the gas tank and mounting the body on the roll cage. That will be bad A. I guess I am getting ahead of myself considering I haven’t physically seen mine yet.

I almost feel I am defeating my purpose of buying a highway friendly vehicle but regardless it will be a sweet project.

I have a few more pics but to lazy at the moment to upload them:confused:

Back