Whoops I was not supposed to do that | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoops I was not supposed to do that

Last August I went through Triple bi-pass and after six weeks of going sir crazy elected to take a nice little trip. I chose a nice easy trail because bouncing still hurt my ribs and so off I went. Well I ended up coming to a dead end which forced me to turn around. Well if anyone has been through open heart surgery it hurts like hell to twist your boody to look back. This combined with being lazy I only used my mirrors and sure enough while backing up I hears a srape and then a jolt. Rather than get out to see what I had hit I gave her a bit of gas and watched my new Goodyear MT/R's dig a nice hole.
Well I got out and the first thing I noticed was the front right tire had dug itself right down to the control arm hitting the ground. Then lookng back I saw the back end sitting high in the air and lookng underneith I discovered that my rear exil was on this nice big rock.
Now what to do. Well since I was out of cell range and no one answer my calls on the CB it was up to me to get myself out of this mess. I jacked the front end up and solowly but surely with placing rocks underneith I managed to get the fron end on an even keel. Next was try to figuare out how to get the damm axil off the frigging rock. The rear was to high for a jack and my only option left was to dig a hole in front of the rock with hopes it woudl fall in and after another two hours of back breaking work I managed to drop it enough so that I could jack the rear end up. Now what to do with the rock underneith. I knew if I tried to drive out all I would manage to do was to put another dent and possibly more in the undercarige.
The rock looked like it weighed somewhere arund 150 or so pounds and here I am not supposed to be lifing more than 15 pound.s Well I got out my trusty ropeand wrapped it around the rock and made a loop on the far end figuaring I would just put it around my waste and use my legs. Well after one hell of a lot of pain a few things popped in my chest well I managed to get the damm rock out from under and was off with no problem though the incident took over five hours to get myself out.
The last whoops happend just this past weekend whe I decided to take my girlfriends kids out to Truckhaven to show them what I will be doing this weekend. I was teaching one how to spot for me and how to judge if I could get over a certain obsticl. Well he though I had enough cleaence for this mound but fail to tell me on the back side was a decent little drop so off I went and sure enough I got hung up on the differential, and the front end of the righ leaf spring. This was no big problem for I just told the kids to start diggin and in an hour we were off an running again.

Hey Dan
Getting stuck im more or less smart ways is OK, but not bringing a camera and taking pictures is not OK!!!!!

Take it easy, and maybe invest in a HiLift Jack ....

Back