Whoops! my hood popped open while i was driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoops! my hood popped open while i was driving

well i didnt close the hood latch after working yesterday and today as i was driving i noticed it wasnt down. so as i was just about to pull over the hood shot up and busted the springs. ford is charging 40 to pull the hood and 20 bucks per spring. this is the most stupidest thing i have done. it scared the crap out of me. i was going 45-50 and almost got into a accident

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What, no pictures? :D Just kidding - glad you were able to stop safely man!

One thing comes to mind and I cant help but laugh! David Spade and Chris Farley! You have seen that movie I am sure!

trckmagik, thats the same thing i was thinking!

glad youre ok, espnfreak.

That happened to me and some friends a few years ago , in a Suzuki Samurai . We , well lets just say we finished the ride home Free ballin' IT . HEheHE ... Then last year we went campin' and on the way home the front hood of my freinds 60' Bug flew open , Sleeping bags , pillows , clothes , etc. all over the road .... :eek:

ford said 40 for a special machine to pull the hood out and 40 to fix the brackets. so 80 bucks. im glad though it didnt hit my windshield. that would have costed major damage. but this was a bad time. i was just about to pull over and close it too

Originally posted by rockymntnhi
We , well lets just say we finished the ride home Free ballin' IT . HEheHE ...
LOL!

Only 80 bucks to get fixed? Lucky you. Imagine what could have happened and how much it would have cost.

I had a simliar incident while over in Germany. I bought a 1978 320i BMW for a few grand while stationed there in 84-86( for a get-around-vehicle). Cruising up to Franfurt at 140kph, the hood pops open... lucky for me they open from the rear. No harm, no foul.:cool:

they took the hood off, bent the brackets back, and put it back on, gave me a few extra headlight screws and washed my truck pretty good. so i cant complain for all that for only 100 bucks, and my hood looks fine!

So, did they charge ya for new brackets, if they only bent the old ones back?
Pete

nope just 40 to pull the hood and 60 bucks labor

LOL-I just hand the guys at my Ford dealer my wallet when I walk into the fixit bay!

that happened to me 6 months ago at 60 mph.... it did whack the winshield... it scared the crap out of me... luckily, no other cars were around and i pulled over.... i jumped out grabbed the hood and yanked it and pushed until the latch resecured itself... it also bent my wiper cowling...

heh same here. it didnt hit my windshield though so i am pretty lucky. but it did scare the crap outta me and almost got me into a accident. like 7 cars were behind me also. lol

I got a recall notice in the mail about a month ago about the secondary latch on the hoods being defective. I havn't taken it in yet but if this is the case then they shouldn't of charged you. The letter is at home (i'm at college) so I don't have the excat details but you may be able to get your money back if the recall affected your truck.

cougarx that sounds interesting, do u think i could get more info on it anywhere?

oh yeah... my hood popped open becuase i had forgotten that the hood was sitting on my battery charger under the hood.... when i drove away the cord ripped out...i still have the battery charger and after a new terminal, it works fine....

Same thing happened to me in my old 79 F-150 a few years ago. Going 70 and then WHOOSH the hood flew up, damned hilarious looking I bet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back