99 XLS- I still can't open the Damn Hood! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 XLS- I still can't open the Damn Hood!

csmicfool

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
I've unloaded plenty of PB's and WD along with breaking a few screwdriver/levers trying to free up the hood lock. It will not open in any way I've tried... including jumping up and down on the hood like a monkey :hammer: . if I sit on the hood you can hear the mechanism latch all the way and then pull the cable and feel/hear it release, but the hood still doesn't pop. I have to sit on the hood again to get the same action out of the pull cable again. I am a bit overdue for a oil change and need to get in there. HELP me PLEASE! I really need to get in there, if for no other reason than to replace the hood lock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem w/my Mystique when battery died and needed a jump. Had to use the blade from my ice scraper to wedge in there and lift the hood enough to get my fingers in and pull it up.

I don't think that applies here... the hood lock wont disengage, so I couldn't wedge the hood open if I tried.

I noticed there's a little "u-shaped" piece on the lock that grabs some part of the hood and is supposed to move 90 degrees to free the hood. That piece doesn't move at all and I am unable to wedge something in there to free it. Is there a trick maybe I don't know?

csmicfool - I've had this problem on both my Jeep Cherokee and my 91 Explorer. One thing to try is unscrew the pull handle mechanism from inside of the truck and pull the actuall cable with vice grips. the cable may have strectched and you just cant pull it far enough to fully disengage it. On my 91 explorer - the cable is actually disconnected (bought it that way) - and what we do is go through the grill and pull whats left of the cable with vice grips. I don't know if thats feasable on your 99. Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't think it's a stretched cable... it goes through the full motion of where it would need to disengage and then some. I'll give it a shot, but I am doubtful

ok dumb question...............did you unlatch the safty latch also? (ie the secoundary hood latch)

The primary wont pop open, so that is a moot point. Although, I have tried holding the secondary open while attempting to pop the primary. No go

You said you could hear it release? Now I'm confused...

Have someone pull and hold the hood release lever at the same time as you try and pry open the hood.

you can feel something get pushed/moved/released, but the mechanism doesn't make a full motion to release the hood. To get the same effect again the hood has to be pushed down on until you hear it click. My roommate and I tried prying while pulling and wasn't very productive.

I've also tried this solo using a Bic lighter to wedge the release handle and then try my damndest to lift the hood or knock the mechanism free with a screwdriver. -broken screwdriver and a still stuck hood.

Here's a trick I learned when I worked at a used car lot years ago. Have someone pull the latch from the inside. With them pulling the lever out, give the front of the hood a few swift blows with the soft part of your hand...in a downward motion...not quite hard enough to lock it back into position. It should release it, eventually. You may also try spraying some WD40 in that s.o.b.

That sounds like used car lot advice

could this possible happen due to a slightly misaligned hood? I've noticed the hood has about 2mm more of a gap from from the driver's side panel than the passenger's side. Is there any way to shift a closed hood without damaging paint?

I had what sounds exactly like this happen to my '94. The ultimate solution was to unbolt the hood latch mechanism through the grill. This took about an hour once I'd found the right combination of tools (I could only turn the machine screw about 1/8 turn at a time). Good luck!

I can't even see a machine screw in there

Could be that the design changed enough that you can't get to them anymore.

maybe that and the fact that all of my grill openings are about 1/2"x1/2" diamond shapes

I may just have to shell out the cash at gainesville ford... those *******s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the hood is misaligned to the side where the latch is, then yes, it may not be able to release. If you haven't gotten it open yet, try wedging screwdriver (with towel underneath it to try and prevent paint damage) between the hood and the fender after hood release is pulled and see if it releases all the way. Good luck.

Back