who's dealing with the cold weather? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who's dealing with the cold weather?

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
I'm in northwest NJ, it's cold here but I know nowhere near what the mid-west is getting. It was 20 degrees yesterday and 12 degrees today. Both days, I started the Explorer and heard a whistling sound from the engine, and also a ticking noise.

I had the whistling noise on my '08 4.6, and brought it to a dealer for a TSB to replace the pulley. It helped, but didn't eliminate it. Then it was wrecked before I got a chance to bring it back.

But this ticking sound is new to me. I also can't believe they didn't fix the whistle noise by 2010. Anyone else dealing with cold weather issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was 30 freeking degrees here in N Florida lastnight, and our heater isnt freeking working! This weather can go now lol.
Anyway, try a thinner oil in your truck when its going to be cold for a while. The ticking is probably from the lack of oil getting to your valves because the oil is thick from being so cold.

I deal with cold weather all the time here. The cold spell from a week ago had us at -8F with a 20 MPH wind but the vehicle didn't care since I had just replaced the thermostat with a new Stant 190 degree thermostat and the engine was coming up to temp in about 5 minutes (factory t-stat was bad and opening at 165). The only thing that was making a whistling noise was the air box because the cold/dense air was allowing the engine to advance timing, inject more fuel, and therefore pull more air.

When I used to park my truck outside something would always break in the winter. Now my balmy 35F garage is great! -14F outside last night!

We're warmed up to about 18°F today. It's like a heatwave!

If our truck was "whistling", I'd figure it was the belt slipping. That could be due to a worn belt or the belt tensioner getting weak. Ticking could be quite a few things, so I'll just guess it's the exhaust manifold leaking.

at -40 they make all kinds of strange noises till they warm up a bit, but the noises always go away,

the whistling could be just the intake tube or filter,,

the ticking is like he said , probably just in need of a little oil , as long as it goes away, all good,, things shrink in the cold,, but when they get warm and expand again, usually things are good afterwards,,
i would recommend if it has a block heater , to plug it in,,

The whistling is from one of the pulleys, there is a TSB for this. Like I mentioned, I had it done to my '08 but it didn't eliminate it. I just can't believe it wasn't fixed by 2010. Also, I'm not sure how much thinner I can go on the oil, I'm running mobil 1 at 5w20!

Time for Remote Start!!!

I'm in Maryland and it has been cold as ever. And we got snow yesterday and some more tonight...Love it! The Exploder drove awesome!!! The AWD Charger I had was the best vehicle I had ever driven in the snow, but I do like the increased clearance.

About that remote start.....I'm not expecting any solutions on this issue, but thought you guys would get a kick out of this. For the 2 weeks, every night at 2:55AM the damn Explorer starts itself for a 10 minute cycle and then shuts off. I have an aftermarket Avital remote starter, and it does have a feature that will start it every 3 hours for you, but not one that will start it at the exact same time every day. How would the remote starter system even know what time it is!?!?! Reall bizzarre, I'm just glad I don't keep it in a garage, that could be dangerous otherwise....

Cold tranny issues?

I am from Ohio and it has been near negative temp wise for the last few weeks. I notice my 06 mountaineer will whine when slightly pressing the pedal to maintain a speed 10-40 mph. Also when I lock into 4x4 I hear the whining constantly and much louder. I think it's a transfer case issue. Anyone else have similar problems?

I'm in northwest NJ, it's cold here but I know nowhere near what the mid-west is getting. It was 20 degrees yesterday and 12 degrees today. Both days, I started the Explorer and heard a whistling sound from the engine, and also a ticking noise.

I had the whistling noise on my '08 4.6, and brought it to a dealer for a TSB to replace the pulley. It helped, but didn't eliminate it. Then it was wrecked before I got a chance to bring it back.

But this ticking sound is new to me. I also can't believe they didn't fix the whistle noise by 2010. Anyone else dealing with cold weather issues?

I am from Ohio and it has been near negative temp wise for the last few weeks. I notice my 06 mountaineer will whine when slightly pressing the pedal to maintain a speed 10-40 mph. Also when I lock into 4x4 I hear the whining constantly and much louder. I think it's a transfer case issue. Anyone else have similar problems?

Hey El Duque and xlmthompson,

Have you stopped by your local dealership so they can take a look? They'll be able to diagnose the noises that your vehicles are making and advise next steps. Let us know how things go - and stay warm!

It was 30 freeking degrees here in N Florida lastnight, and our heater isnt freeking working! This weather can go now lol.
Anyway, try a thinner oil in your truck when its going to be cold for a while. The ticking is probably from the lack of oil getting to your valves because the oil is thick from being so cold.

I deal with cold weather all the time here. The cold spell from a week ago had us at -8F with a 20 MPH wind but the vehicle didn't care since I had just replaced the thermostat with a new Stant 190 degree thermostat and the engine was coming up to temp in about 5 minutes (factory t-stat was bad and opening at 165). The only thing that was making a whistling noise was the air box because the cold/dense air was allowing the engine to advance timing, inject more fuel, and therefore pull more air.

We're warmed up to about 18°F today. It's like a heatwave!

If our truck was "whistling", I'd figure it was the belt slipping. That could be due to a worn belt or the belt tensioner getting weak. Ticking could be quite a few things, so I'll just guess it's the exhaust manifold leaking.

at -40 they make all kinds of strange noises till they warm up a bit, but the noises always go away,

the whistling could be just the intake tube or filter,,

the ticking is like he said , probably just in need of a little oil , as long as it goes away, all good,, things shrink in the cold,, but when they get warm and expand again, usually things are good afterwards,,
i would recommend if it has a block heater , to plug it in,,

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

Crystal

Well, I figured I would bump this thread since it's that time of year again. I think most of the country is going through this massive cold snap, but in NJ, it's relatively mild. I get in this morning and it's 4 degrees and start the engine, it wouldn't kick down off choke in 10 minutes. I thought that was kind of long. I finally had to just start driving. Also, the button to shift out of park wouldn't work at first, I think it like 5 tries. But at least the pulley didn't whine! Anyone else?

My thermostat went bad again three weeks ago (man my engine seems to eat thermostats ... can't keep them from not opening too early) and I had to replace it (part covered under warrantee) and decided to flush the system at the same time. Everything back to normal again but the lack of power when the engine doesn't get up to temp. stinks.

I'm livin' in Alaska - enjoying the fact that it's warmer here right now than many places in the lower 48. :)

I'm really appreciating the winter ability of our Mounty's AWD system, especially the ability to lock the axles. If you have an Explorer, you have hot buttons on the dash to lock into "4x4-Hi" (IIRC). But some may not know that the Mountaineer can lock the axles as well. Go thru the setup menu to the AWD page, and hit reset to "Locked", which will light the "4x4" dashlight.

In Auto mode, you get that clunking, herky-jerky action as the system is constantly engaging/disengaging the front axle. In locked mode (as long as you are on snow or ice), you just get smooth takeoff and handling.

Yesterday, someone got stuck in our sub in 10" of unplowed snow. They had an Ex Sport-Trac (3rd gen), but the 4WD wasn't working. Got a tow strap, and was able to help them out of the sub.

I don't have a low range, and each axle is "open". But you should not consider the AWD or "Auto 4WD" systems on these trucks as incapable!

Its an annual thing up here in the great white north. Back when it was -40c in November I actually think one of my wheel bearings was squeaking, but it could have been the brakes. I woke up to -35c on the way to work today, nothing new, the annual pulley squeak until it warms up, and the suspension bushings that feel like they are made of plastic instead of rubber. You get used to it.

We don't get this kind of crazy cold every year in Michigan. But when it's well below freezing, I start wondering why I don't get some sort of oil pan heater for my cars. Standard equipment for you northern Canadians and Alaskans. But they are probably very cheap as a factory option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 08 has been fantastic in this cold weather and in the snow, this is one my favorite vehicles that I have owned to date. 50 + years of driving. I have noticed that my airbag light will stay on for a minute or so when it is very cold, but then go out. No other issues so far. :)

Back