Will 98 5.0 computer work with returnless fuel system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 98 5.0 computer work with returnless fuel system

WillBrown82

Reaction score
City, State
LaVergne, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger XLT
Hello everyone. I have a 99 3.0 Ranger that I'm looking to swap a 5.0 into. The 5.0 engine I'm going to use came out of a 98 explorer. I have the engine, trans, all harnesses, accessories, and computer out of the the 98 explorer. The explorer had a return style fuel system in it where my Ranger has a returnless fuel system. I have bought returnless fuel rails and injectors for the 5.0. My question is will the 98 computer work with the returnless fuel system in my Ranger or will I need to purchase a computer from a 99 - 01 explorer with the returnless fuel system. Mods, if this question needs to be moved to a different section please do so. Thanks in advance.

Will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 98 5.0L Ex I have in my driveway has the return style fuel rails, I think you need a 99+ computer OR convert your Ranger back to the return style system

the 1999 computer may have additional wiring/sensor changes from your 98 engine and harness as well as the returnless style fuel control /rail so by getting a 99 computer you MAY be opening a larger can of worms.......

Thanks for the info. If i go with a 99-01 computer I will get the harness as well. I know the camshaft synchro and position sensor are different between the 98 and 99 -01s. I'm not sure if any other sensors are different. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the info. If i go with a 99-01 computer I will get the harness as well. I know the camshaft synchro and position sensor are different between the 98 and 99 -01s. I'm not sure if any other sensors are different. Thanks again for your help.

Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to use the return-style rails,etc... from the Explorer, and just have to run 1 extra fuel line (for the return) to the tank? Instead of opening up a whole can of worms, with computer swap,etc.....?

You don't even have to mess with the sending unit/fuel tank:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/65385/10002/-1

Trying to use a '99 ECM with the '98 trans might also be a problem. Not sure on that though.
I would just run the extra fuel line, and keep the complete '98 Explorer package intact.

Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to use the return-style rails,etc... from the Explorer, and just have to run 1 extra fuel line (for the return) to the tank? Instead of opening up a whole can of worms, with computer swap,etc.....?

You don't even have to mess with the sending unit/fuel tank:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/65385/10002/-1

Trying to use a '99 ECM with the '98 trans might also be a problem. Not sure on that though.
I would just run the extra fuel line, and keep the complete '98 Explorer package intact.

That is another option but I've already sold the return-style rails from the 98 engine (I could buy new/used one though). What problems might I experience with using a 99 ecm with a 98 trans?

That is another option but I've already sold the return-style rails from the 98 engine (I could buy new/used one though). What problems might I experience with using a 99 ecm with a 98 trans?

I'm not really sure, but I think there are different sensors, and probably different shift schedules,etc...

Unless your Ranger has the same gears and tires size as the donor Explorer, you'll need a computer tune anyway, so I would call James @ Henson Performance ( www.hensonperformance.com), and ask him about any trans/ecm issues, as well as advice on the best way to proceed with the setup.

I'm sure if you "poke around" these forums some more, the information is also probably in a thread somewhere.

Again, I think the easiest (and probably cheapest) option is to stay with the correct yr ECm, and just run the line. Fuel rails are probably going to be cheaper at the junkyard than an ecm ( and without other possible headaches).

Back