• Register Today It's free!

Will My Sport Trac Tow This?

Markek

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
2001 Sport Trac and I'm wondering if there is any way it will tow this trailer. Trip is approx. 125 miles each way and pretty flat ground the whole way.

Specs on the trailer are:

GAWR 7000 LB
Front 3500 LB
Back 3500 LB

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the trailer loaded with stuff? Specs on trailer? If the trailer is 7000lbs then it's too much for the sport trac. But if the gross weight is 7000lbs and it's only 4000lbs empty and your traveling light then I say it's a go. The max tow rating for the explorer/sport trac is 5000lbs. This also depends on your hitch.

This is way too heavy.

Is the trailer loaded with stuff? Specs on trailer? If the trailer is 7000lbs then it's too much for the sport trac. But if the gross weight is 7000lbs and it's only 4000lbs empty and your traveling light then I say it's a go. The max tow rating for the explorer/sport trac is 5000lbs. This also depends on your hitch.

Ditto, and what gearing does it have, plus the tire diameters? Gearing makes a big difference, as do the road inclines and a trans cooler. If the total weight is at the 5000lbs level, it can be done carefully.

It depends on the actual weight of the trailer as you're planning on towing it. I think you're pushing it. If I attempted it I'd do the tow with O/D off and keep a careful eye on the trans temp.

BTW, I assume you have a frame mounted hitch. Right? No way you should attempt this with a bumper hitch.

Speed and the road traveled would be the biggest factor for me.

Yeah, I kind of thought the trailer was way too big. From what I hear Uhaul will not allow the Sport Trac to tow their trailers. I guess I will have to start searching for plan C.

Open or enclosed trailer?

Correct on U Haul not hooking up a trailer to a Sport Trac. They consider it a Explorer and they won't hook up to a Explorer. Borrow a friend's truck to hook up to, then swap to yours when you can. Dave P.

Plan C - rented a moving truck from Uhaul.

Back