• Register Today It's free!

Will this work????

crazyfazy_7

Reaction score
City, State
The hills of West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have an '02 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine and auto trans. Both the engine and tranny have died. The question I have is will a engine and transmission out of an '03 work in my '02 without any trouble? I've came across a very good deal on a motor and trans. out of an '03, but I don't want to waste my money if it won't work. It seems to me I've read where the '02 tranny is specific for that year only, but I'm not sure. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

according to the Hollander interchange manual the '03 wil fit the '02**

**engine = no problem
**tranny= no problem unless they are out of a different vehicle, e.g. 2dr or sport trac, etc...if both vehicles are the same as in a 4dr, then they interchange...

J...barely awake enough to read...

im not shure but the 02 tranny has allways seemed to be weaker than the 03 so it prob does have a specific tranny but i would say it might still work

Crazy, how many miles are on this vehicle?!!! 4.0's go 200K no problem.

well the sohc's are sometimes basket cases

It's got around 140,000+ miles. It would prob. be alright if it wasn't for the timing chain cassettes and tensioners that are made of cheap plastic. I rebuilt a similar SOHC for our '98 Explorer last year. The standard components, like pistons, cams, etc.. all that stuff would have been good for many more miles, but the tensioners and cassettes let loose and blocked the oil pump and oil galleys, thus ruining the engine. The same goes for this motor. The trannys really what I'm concerned about, cause I'm not sure if the '03 will work in my '02. That thing is also another engineering marvel! Why they did away with a simple dip-stick...I'll never know!:rolleyes:

Back