• Register Today It's free!

windows all f't up!

MudRunner90

Reaction score
City, State
McClelland, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
ok so only one of my windows go up or down by them selfs, pritty sure its the motors. the one that does work will catch (on the track somehow) in the front and the back wil only go up. how do i remove/replace motors and fix the messed up window?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't know.

i have a window which doesn't work right as well. so i'll be digging into the door to fix it soon too. window motors are usually pretty easy to remove, take off the door panel and see what you see. if i get around to fixing mine in the next couple of days i'll post the details here as well.

sounds good ill try to find time to try and fix mine as well, and let you know if i get it.

Have someone work the master switch (the one in the driver door) and go around to each other door and listen for the motor to see if it's running.

If you read through the thread willindsay posted, you'll see the usual culprit which are those goofy little nylon bushings that break down over time and through repeated use. Also pay attention to post #11 where he shows you that large black gear. Sometimes that gear will strip teeth off and that can cause the windows to not work as well.

I'm in the same boat. I had only one working window, the front passenger, and the other 3 are / were DOA. The driver window wouldn't do anything and I found out that the relay in the "Express Down Module" had literally broken all 4 solder points on the PCB due to vibration of the truck over time. Soldered the relay back to the board and my driver window works just dandy...even has the "One Touch Down" feature again. However, both rear windows don't work, but the motors run, so I'm betting I probably need a couple sets of bushings myself, but I haven't really been motivated enough to go out and fix it since colder weather is coming and we won't need to have the windows down anyway.

Back