Wiper linkage disconnected

DamianB

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0L V6 SOHC
Hi all,

Damian from the UK here. I have a 1999 4.0 Explorer, RHD. I've got an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've seen some posts that come close but not close enough.

The right side/UK driver's side wiper failed and on closer inspection is disconnected from the linkage arm. Now it's too deep to get my hand into and I've managed to remove the wiper mechanism but I want to remove the linkage arm too. The left side came off no issue but I'm really struggling with the right side. There's no linkage access points on this. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Damian.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The linkage that is still connected to the wiper motor just gets pried off. The linkage your finger is holding has a clip on it, I circled the clip

How it goes together the inside linkage slides on first. The linkage your holding slides on last. Then the clip goes on over the wiper motor shaft securing it firmly.

wiper_LI.jpg

The linkage that is still connected to the wiper motor just gets pried off. The linkage your finger is holding has a clip on it, I circled the clip

How it goes together the inside linkage slides on first. The linkage your holding slides on last. Then the clip goes on over the wiper motor shaft securing it firmly.

View attachment 341854

Cheers for the reply. I'm trying to remove the linkage that I'm not holding in the photo. It just won't slide off. There is a little movement but it's as if something is stopping it from sliding off. It is really puzzling.

Thanks, D.

Cheers for the reply. I'm trying to remove the linkage that I'm not holding in the photo. It just won't slide off. There is a little movement but it's as if something is stopping it from sliding off. It is really puzzling.

Thanks, D.
Sorted it. Brute force always wins. Was on good and tight.

Should there be a bushing between the inner link and the drive diameter ? Mine is sloppy loose

My 98, never had any kind of bushing between the inner arm and wiper motor. When I replaced my broken passenger linkage recently, I installed 2 zip ties in that space. Works fine.

I just ordered a driver side crank from Tasca - it’s not worth me trying to make a bushing

Did the new part from Tasca have any kind of bushing on it?

Back