wont go into 4x4 or low range | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wont go into 4x4 or low range

Reaction score
City, State
Gretna, louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX
yeah my 91 navajo is great, but i cant get it to swich into 4x4 or low range, when i press the button for it it will just click, sounds like........ click...click..then about 8 seconds later it clicks again, i dont know what the problem is with it, if anyone else does tho i would really like to know im tired of getting stuck in the mud,......................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site... Your problem is most likely related to a small plastic washer having broken in the T-Case shift motor... Check out the Shift motor rebuild thread for lots of info and pics on fixing this..

What is the difference between 4x4 and low range?

What is the difference between 4x4 and low range?

2x4 HIGH = 1:1
4x4 HIGH = 1:1
4x4 LOW = 2.48:1

General rule of thumb
4x4 HIGH is for speeds above 25mph or when on-road
4x4 LOW is for speeds under 25mph when off-road

Low range yield much higher torque and power (not speed) and allows you to easily traverse rugged terrain. The ratio (2.48:1) indicates the transfer case output shaft rotates once for every 2.48 revolutions of engine's crankshaft. So in effect the engine's power is being multiplied by 2.48 when in low range. The cost of using LOW range is speed... You will not be able to go much beyond 25mph without putting your engine rpms in the red.

Thanks. I knew what it was for, I just didn't know the mechanics behind it.

Check the shift motor then check the computer in the jack storage compartment.

Back