• Register Today It's free!

Won't start issue

Kswelder

Reaction score
City, State
El Dorado, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer AWD 4.6L
I just bought an 03 mountaineer 4.6l AWD for the wife they said it needed head gaskets. Got it home checked the oil now water in the oil so ran a compression test they ran from 135-140. Had an antifreeze leak out of the passenger side under intake pulled it off it's a dorman from an 02 replaced the gaskets. Replaced the tps sensor. It won't run at all still when it does it's for a brief second when you pump the gas or hold it to the floor. Fuel pressure when key is on runs 60 psi and holds it for bout 30 minutes when the key is off. When cranking it over the fuel pressure is anywhere from 20-75 psi very erratic. No misfiring codes or maf code I do have speed control unable to hold speed, 2 codes of cylinder head temperature out of range to self test, and brake switch code. That' the only codes I have if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate the input. Thanks

Do you have a vacuum gauge available? Almost sounds like a clogged catalytic converter, or perhaps a really bad vacuum leak. Your key-on fuel pressure is fine. Did that issue exist before tearing it down for the head gaskets? And did you get your timing chains installed correctly?

Thanks for the reply. Ya same issue as before when I got it and timing is on mark. And I'm gonna run a vacuum test on it in the morning I was kinda thinking catalytic converter also but wasn't quite for sure

Back