Won't start, loud rapid clicking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start, loud rapid clicking sound

Exp03Limited

Reaction score
City, State
Austin TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited AWD
I'm new to the forums and hoping someone can help me out. Tried to start my 2003 Explorer this evening and it won't start up. When turning the key I just hear loud rapid clicking, like small gunfire or fireworks even. Does anyone know what could be the problem or some things I can do to try and figure it out, it is no longer under warranty. After returning the key to 'on' I see "reduced engine power" and "check fuel cap" on the message display but don't know if that is normal or not. Battery appears to be fine as all accessories and lights work.

Thanks so much,
I also found what looks like the fix to my 'door ajar' problem, will verify if I can get her started again. Very happy to have found that! :)

Stephen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats what it sounds like when the battery doesn't have enough power to turn over the engine. Have you tried jumping it?

Boy, I feel pretty dumb now. Started right up with the jump. I had checked voltage on the battery and was 12.5v and all accessories working fine prior to posting here. After the jump, while running I saw 14v at the battery so figure alternator is working. Now I just wonder do I have a bad battery or did I have something just drain the power this one time to not have enough cranking juice. I'll try tomorrow to get the battery checked out.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll be trying the door ajar fix this weekend.

...well keep us informed and we will be here if you need more help...:D

...lol, and that's when it's most apt to happen....when it is cold and nasty out...:D

It never happens when its cold in the winter. Only when its cold and sleeting

...rofl, no, thats when my starter go's out...:D

Fantastic forum you all have here!
Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread for the same problem.

I am having the same issue with my 91 Explorer. It has been sitting for well over a year, and was just notified by my landlords that the city is planning on abating it TOMORROW (thanks for the notice landlord!) if it is not registered or moved by the time they arrive. Lovely, eh?

I went out to try and start it, battery was dead. Hooked up the jumper cables and tried to jump it, nothing. Left it charging off the other car for a while, then tried it and got the loud clicking noise. After an hour of it charging, same thing.

I do not know much about car repair as my ex used to handle it for me, but since he is an ass, he is no longer around!

Any advice you could give me would be most appreciated. Time is running out and I am starting to panic a bit!
(I might even send you some brownies for your time!)

Thanks in advance,

Nina

Somebody else will jump in, but a common problem on first gens is the solenoid on the right front fender. but, I don't remember if it clicks or not when that goes bad. I know you can check it by shorting two of the terminals with a screwdriver...(not safe, try at your own risk). I started my truck for a few days like that a while ago, everybody thought I was stealing my truck.

Thank you for your response!

I'm out the door to check that out right now.

Okay, solenoid seems to be fine. The spiders were not happy having their home destroyed though.

Thank you again for your response, LBarr2002.

Any other suggestions?

Might be too simple a solution...but check the terminal connections? are they loose or corroded? and check the ground connection and the wire to the starter.

Terminal connections are a bit corroded, yes.

Should I use a wire brush and some sand paper to fix that?

yeah, pull the terminals off and clean with sandpaper, brush, whatever you've got. Probably a good idea to use some dialectric grease or terminal coating when you put it back together.

My truck is having same clicking sound when I tried to start it up...but nothing happends, except that everything electronic resets,e.g. the radio looses memory....I am sure it is related. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It's probably your battery cables as it is common for them to corrode inside...That is if you have already checked your electrical connections...

Back