Won't start until I shift through gears... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start until I shift through gears...

J. Anthony

Reaction score
City, State
Brenham, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited 4x4
I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem; go to start and X won't start; all signs that battery is good and not dead; shift through all the gears and then turn the key, engine starts right up. Has happened twice. Today I went to engage the 4high system, no go. It's push button and the light didn't come on and when I checked to see if the front was engaged, nothing. Any ideas? It drives good, no shifting problems when driving or any other time.
:usa: :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree it sounds like your shift linkage is out of adjustment, meaning the truck isnt registering N even when the shifter is in the N position

Automatic. Thanks for the info. Would that not allow my 4 wheel drive system not engage as well? Is there some solenoid that helps it engage?

That dang thing costs 76 bucks @ NAPA. Got one coming, be here Friday. Now I got to see if that works; first I have to figure out how to put in; before that I need to figure out where it's at...any ideas. Oh, by the way, the one I ordered was for the A4LD auto tranny.

Will do. I just called a friend of mine who is actually a mechanic; said it shoudn't go bad. Possibly loose connection or dirty. I drive on a farm quite a bit and the dirt may be causing a problem. If not, the switch really isn't that much. I think I would rather have one on hand and not need it than to not have it and need it. I appreciate the help. Any ideas on the 4 wheel system?

Good advice all. The neutral safety switch CAN fail... though it is rare. That is what senses your vehicle is in park or neutral and will allow it to start. It also controls the backup lights. $76 are you kidding. I can sell you a good used one for a fraction of that.

Back