Worn Driveshaft U Joint Bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worn Driveshaft U Joint Bearings?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
A couple of weeks ago I was driving with the windows down and noticed a squeaking sound under 40mph. I heard it again today and went under the truck to check. I noticed that the driveshaft u joint bearing seals look worn and it looks like the grease in them leaked out. I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow but wanted to post photos here in case someone has had this issue too. The driveshaft components are stock and the truck has 313,000 miles. Thanks for any help.

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of weeks ago I was driving with the windows down and noticed a squeaking sound under 40mph. I heard it again today and went under the truck to check. I noticed that the driveshaft u joint bearing seals look worn and it looks like the grease in them leaked out. I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow but wanted to post photos here in case someone has had this issue too. The driveshaft components are stock and the truck has 313,000 miles. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 451506

View attachment 451510
Too check the joints, all you have too do, is grab the driveshaft with your hand and rotate it in the forward and reverse direction. You will see the play in joint. The joints should be firm. The bearings are inside the caps, which you can't see.

Are you sure it’s the driveshaft u-joints?

The noise will be much faster than wheel speed…roughly 3-4 times as fast.

I’d still change those due to age, so I guess you can fire up the parts cannon on this job and see if the noise goes away.

Are you sure it’s the driveshaft u-joints?

The noise will be much faster than wheel speed…roughly 3-4 times as fast.

I’d still change those due to age, so I guess you can fire up the parts cannon on this job and see if the noise goes away.
I went under the truck and didn’t feel any play in the driveshaft. The noise occurs in reverse and in drive under 40mph. I’m hoping it’s just the u-joints but the shop I go to will check it tomorrow. I’ll definitely replace the u-joints as they look worn out after 25 years and 313,000 miles and I don’t want them to fail while I’m on the highway 😅

How old are the CV axles?

How’s the front driveshaft?

When was the last time you checked or replaced the parking brake shoes?

Touching the brake pedal doesn’t stop it?

How old are the CV axles?

How’s the front driveshaft?

When was the last time you checked or replaced the parking brake shoes?
I’m 2WD so I only have the two on the rear driveshaft. The parking shoes are stock but I never use them. I’ll ask them to look at them in case they are damaged.

I just did this job
Mine sounded like crickets

I just did this job
Mine sounded like crickets
Mine sounds like the camshaft synchronizer chirp. Except only in gear and louder. I wish I had time to change them myself but I’m busy with work unfortunately. I’m not sure if it’s the u-joints but I’m getting new ones at this point.

The only reason I mention the shoes…mine started chirping as they were disintegrating.

The only reason I mention the shoes…mine started chirping as they were disintegrating.
The place I took it to says there’s nothing wrong with the u joints of differential but that it might be the transmission. I’m just wondering if a 5R55E would make a squeaking noise. It shifts fine and I have a temperature sensor on the test port. The temperature never gets above 180.

Take it somewhere else

Hey everyone. Thanks for the advice. My transmission was shifting fine at the time I created this thread and wasn’t overheating, but it has a developed a hard shift around 2nd gear and is leaking from the shifter seal. It’s also running warmer now and making a metallic sound after a while. I’m going to swap it with a reman transmission next week. The transmission was original and lasted 313,000 miles but it’s off to be rebuilt and to help someone else :salute:I thought about rebuilding it locally but I’m getting a three year/100,000 mile warranty with the reman unit.

I’ll be using this opportunity to add an external cooler with the OE hard lines and also replacing the rear main seal with the improved version.

Back