Worth it for a beginner? Ford Explorer Service Shop OEM Manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worth it for a beginner? Ford Explorer Service Shop OEM Manual

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
Hello, I have a fair amount of experience with tools and machines but never worked much on cars until now. I've started working on my own 03 explorer due to necessity, things are breaking and I don't want to keep paying $1000 every six months to the mechanic. Youtube and forums have been great resources but is the OEM manual worth it for someone like me to own? Or should I save my money and rely on the web? I've read the Chilton and Haynes manuals aren't very good or in depth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Ford-E...f74c8d73e:g:bCMAAOSw9GhYZRvI&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the shop manuals and the wiring book, but I only use the wiring book, and I'm an electronics nerd.
The mechanical stuff is covered pretty well on the Internet, and a fair mechanic knows most of it, anyway. It's the wiring that is different in every model and even the best can't tell the players without a guide.

I had a Nissan pickup that started having tranny shift problems. I took it to a tranny shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So I mentioned I had one of the official manuals ($70) and I took it in for them to check out. The next day they called me and told me it was the computer set up under the passenger seat. Sure enough, replaced, and solved the problem. You may never need it, or it could prove to be worth every penny. I buy a Chilton, or Haynes, but they aren't worth much -- especially with everything available on the internet.

The mechanical stuff is covered pretty well on the Internet, and a fair mechanic knows most of it, anyway. It's the wiring that is different in every model and even the best can't tell the players without a guide.

Number Twelve is correct, I find YouTube is the best. That being said, the first thing I do is buy a service manual. One day you will need it. I have used mine. I think for $39 I would buy it. You could easily save that in repairs the first time you open the book.

Go Buy it.

Tom

Thank you all. I'll get it and maybe the wiring diagram too. Hoping to replace my upper ball joints and fix my idle.

Does anyone have a valid link to a CD, DVD of the OEM Shop Manual for sale ? or, a download source .pdf that is not set up to install another browser and other spam crap on your System directory ? Many Thanks !!

for $50, i'd say do it.

When the internet does not work, your books works. Get the manuals.

Back