East Coast Run At Paragon (April) | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

East Coast Run At Paragon (April)

Best Weekend for a Paragon Outing

• --

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • --

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • April 19th, 20th & 21st

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • --

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Looks like you guys had a great time, wish my *&%$ knee would stop filling with fluid, would have liked to have seen all the action in person.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again, it was great to meet everyone.

Spas, thanks a lot for making the sandwiches for Sat. Best damn PBJ's I ever had...all 5 of 'em!..LOL.

Bigcheck, your truck drove well because you had the right set-up. Once you get the right set-up everything is a cake walk. With a set of 33's it'll be killer. See you on the next trip.

Josh, thanks for setting up the room. Hopefully next trip we can hit the hard stuff(HINT HINT)...right? You missed it on Sunday, I actually got stuck. The best part was leaving it in neutral and then hi-lifting it off the stump and then watching it roll back into the middle of the stream.:eek: Good thing John was in the pass seat or I would have been wading.

MONKEY BOY, MAKE SURE I PUT THAT THING IN PARK! You can ride shotgun again anytime.

Karol, nice to meet you and the kids. Next time you can take off the driver's mirror. Then you'll be even. :confused:

parli, only you could get stuck on a 6" log and drag it 100 feet. :rolleyes:

Willie, first time I ever seen a saleen wanna-be X off roading...nice job!...LOL...just busting yer balls man. Hopefully I'll see you at the stang show.

Jeff, it was a blast. I knew we'd beat that stump! Don't be offended if I don't take your "the only way to get up that is to stomp on it" approach to off roading. :nono: :p

Slapnuts(lizard) thanks for letting us use your garage and powerwasher. See you next time.

Everybody else I didn't mention, I had a blast. See you on the next trip!! :chug:

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport

Jeff, it was a blast. I knew we'd beat that stump! Don't be offended if I don't take your "the only way to get up that is to stomp on it" approach to off roading. :nono: :p
:p :p :p :p :p

No offense taken :D. I did the "mash it" routine for the stump due to previous experience with said stump. Last time I had tried the slow and steady approach to start, and got hung real quick due to lack of ground clearance :shoot: :frustrate . I figured I was headed for the same problem again, and gave it the gas :D . Hey, it worked didn't it? (Don't mind the bent lower brushguard crossmember due to said stump!!) :confused:

Originally posted by tbomb
ill make it next time.

willie, nice pics ;)

How do those PIRELLI SCORPION grip off-road?

I know they're good on pavment and on sand, have you tried them in mud and rock?

Originally posted by Bobbed Ranger

How do those PIRELLI SCORPION grip off-road?

I know they're good on pavment and on sand, have you tried them in mud and rock?

Which Pirelli Scorpions? I have the A/T for winter/off-roading and the Zero's for the summer. Both set of tires are awesome! A/T worked better than I expected. The Zero's are GREAT in the rain, I never hydro planes!

-Willie

DO they go as big as 33" or 35"?

Originally posted by Bobbed Ranger
DO they go as big as 33" or 35"?

The largest in a Pirelli Scorpion A/T is 33x12.5SR15

how are they in snow?

That could work as my everyday tire and then go to the mud-terrains when wheeling

Josh, thanks for setting up the room. Hopefully next trip we can hit the hard stuff(HINT HINT)...right? You missed it on Sunday, I actually got stuck. The best part was leaving it in neutral and then hi-lifting it off the stump and then watching it roll back into the middle of the stream. Good thing John was in the pass seat or I would have been wading

Matt--sounds like i did miss some adventure on sunday. Yeah next time i hope we can hit a few harder trails. I'm trying to brag or anything, but with my 31's and a locker, i only put it in 4wd twice. Don't get me wrong, i had a great time. I used my 2wd low range option the whole time which helped me out, but i like a little more "stick to ya mud." I'm already looking forward to the next trip and i already have plans worked out for some more up grades to my truck. First thing is to fab up some guards to protect my tie rod ends :D and my cv's. Brush guard should be in this week and i'm going to reinforce it so that i can actually "use" it to push and pull from.

Next trip i'd like to do some night riding, i've not done to much of it but it is kind of fun. Maybe some camping too. What do you think?

Oh, Jeff, thanks for the tools. I know now what i need to start carrying on the trails!!

Happy trails!!

The expression on both Matt's and John's face as the truck slooooowwwllllllyyy rolled back into the creek was priceless!!! Matt is hanging onto the light bar for all he is worth, hoping that his weight will stop a 4000+lb truck on a 45° angle from moving!!! The truck just gracefully slid down the embankment and backed into the middle of the stream. John was just sitting there with eyes WIDE open and his jaw a flappin' in the breeze!! PRICELESS!!! Spas had the camera, BUT SHE DIDN'T TAKE THE SHOT!!!!!:shoot: :frustrate (J/K :D ) Not that I blame her, all off us were just standing there with our jaws on the ground. Thankfully, it didn't hit anything. Matt, one comment PUT IT IN PARK NEXT TIME!!!
:cool:

Man, i wish i could have seen that, that would be good to have on film for later laughs!!! I can just see Matt being pulled down hill by his truck and John i there about the crap his pants!! haha

Happy trails!!

Did anybody get that on film from the other side of the stream????? I got it on the camera just as it stopped--I had honestly thought that it was going to take forever to lift Matt's truck, so I didn't bother to take the camera out of my pocket :( Besides, I was laughing too hard. Much like Lizard's approach to getting Parli up the mini-Rubicon ;)

Don't worry about pics guys-I blew through 4 1/2 rolls of film and I got shots of EVERYBODY (that's what the photographer does!), plus most of the stream shots were from water level :) Any suggestions as to where I can post so many pics all at once?

Lizard- I'm assuming that you've watched all of the videos by now.....Didja get to see yourself taking a pee in the woods? :D :D :D

F#%K IT!!!!!!!

I watched the video, we got some nice shots.

All I can say is whens the next time????

Jeff, it was a blast. I knew we'd beat that stump! Don't be offended if I don't take your "the only way to get up that is to stomp on it" approach to off roading

Thats the approach i took when coming out of the river on saturday. I guess jeff the guide and one other guy didnt think i would make it. They must have been suprised when i made it out and almost ran them over. :D :eek:

I dont suppose any one got a picture of me coming out? (maybe the guy i almost hit with the camera? ) Or what about you spas? :hammer:

Sometime that is the only way to get out a mess. Like Karol, if she would have backed up to the middle of the creek and picked a different approach then she wouldn't have had to use her winch. Some times more petro is the way to go.

To everyone else that was wondering, i think i figured out why my inner tierod end bent. When i climbed that hill after jeff, i had my wheels cut to the left and when that tire hit the ground, it grabbed so quick that the weakest part of the system bent, that being my inner tie rod end. If you look at this picture and think about it you can see what i'm talking about. Anyone replaced one of these, can i do this with out taking the rack loose?

Happy trails!!

Attachments

• im000388.jpg
    im000388.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 244

Originally posted by Jot017
Anyone replaced one of these, can i do this with out taking the rack loose?

Happy trails!!

Remove the tire and turn the wheel all the way to the right. You'll have to cut the inner metal band holding the boot on. Cut the outer band and then slide the boot down. With the wheel turned all the way to the right the ball joint should be exposed enough to wrench it. You'll see the black ball joint attached to the rack. It has flats on it. I think we had a huge cresent wrench to take it off, but a large set of channel locks should work too. Just break it loose and it comes right off. Not sure what comes with the new control arm, but you'll have to use zip ties to hold the boot on when you replace it. Use a dab of thread lock too. Should only take you about a half hr to change it.

Namity, I might have a shot of you coming out of the river. I have to wait for my film to come back from developing :rolleyes: . I'll put 'em up when they get back.

Matt--thanks alot. Come to think about it had to take one off of my old rack for some reason and i remember what it looks like now. I was going have ford do it for me cause i didn't have the time to mess with it, but i'll probably do it myself now. I'll also try to straiten the old one out a best i can ( :hammer: ) and i'll keep it for a back up :D

Happy trails!!

Lizard, when are you going to post the videos of the run? Soon? Huh?? huh???
BTW, thanks for the free room and (floor)board! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jeff, I wish I had a pic of yours and Damon's faces when we came out. Your eyes just about bugged out when we started up the bank. Surprised we made it after the three previous attempts got stuck? When in doubt, stand on it

Back