would u take this 2000 xlt on a roadtrip??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

would u take this 2000 xlt on a roadtrip???

2ndtime

Reaction score
City, State
reno, nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt
Hi everyone....let me start off by saying the amount of info on this site is truly amazing!! Thanks to everyone for being here.

I have a 2000 xlt with 222,500 miles!! It has a groaning power steering pump that works enough to keep driving it for now. One of the front ball joints is squeaking when going over speed bumps. There is also a slight rattle upon first starting it up...not sure what this is - but it does go away quickly after it warms up. Other than that it does have door opening issues that are soooo annoying:rolleyes:....i have troubleshooted the problem to be the door latches fault. I will fix and/or replace later.

Here's my question: Would you drive this xlt from northern california to missouri?????? The trip is just over 1500 miles. It would be one way. I really need to go for family reasons and i'm trying to weigh out my options. I love my xlt and don't want to part with it but don't have the time or the means to do any of the fixes before i go. WHAT DO YOU THINK??????
As much as i don't want to move without a vehicle i also don't want to be stuck on the side of the road alone. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buy a plane ticket, it is cheaper to buy a plane ticket than to spend $ for 1500 miles in gas...

the balljoint should be fixed, the other stuff isnt a big deal, ford power steering pumps whine like hell, and hte door issue is more a comfort than everything (i'm assumingit sags, or creaks) the noise @ startup is normal, its gettign pressure to the hydraulic lifters, it is an old engine, jsut make sure to keep up on oil changes, and maybe add some extra detergents every now and then to help free up any gum or varnish in the lifters. galleys

I'm not coming back!!!

i know that a plane ticket is cheaper than the gas....but this is strictly a one way journey. It's drive and have transportation when i get there or fly, and be without my explorer......so, i'm sure you see my dilemma!!!!

On replacing the ball joint......i'm pretty sure i can do it myself.....but, how do you know if it's the lower or upper....i'm guessing it's the upper b/c there's grease coming out of it (plus it's more expensive - go figure). I've read on here that some people just grease the ball joints to make the squeak go away....would that be a temporary fix, or unsafe????
(thanks for the response jimbo!)

how do you know its bad? a squeak can be almsot anything, might not even be a balljoint, a lot of front end squeaks on the second gen explorers is attributed to bad torsion bar pads and it isnt unsafe to drive with those worn, its just noisey....

Just go man! take a camera, and enjoy the trip. the truck will be fine.

Take it. Change the oil before you go and maby the tranny fulid aswell.

thanks

I don't know for sure that it is the ball joint. My former explorer (97xlt) made the same noise, and i was told that's what it was. What's a girl to do??????? I want to just go for it.......ahhhhh!!!

holy crap almost 230k on a 2000 lol and i thought mine had miles at 124,734

just go. you will be fine. it's highway driving, not off road. get your fluids changed, check your tire pressure, drive responsibly, and you will be fine.

just go. you will be fine. it's highway driving, not off road. get your fluids changed, check your tire pressure, drive responsibly, and you will be fine.

+1. I wouldn't worry too much. You should be fine.

+2 the truck will be great!!!:thumbsup:

I'd go for it. Change the oil, coolant and trans fluid, and carry some extra of those with you, and carry food, water and a sleeping bag just in case.

Just curious. Where in Missouri are you moving to?

And please let us know when you make it, or if you don't and want to rant at the people who said go for it :)

i'll keep you updated!

I should be leaving sometime this week if all goes as planned. I'll let everyone know when I DO make it. I'm heading for the st louis area. I'm not going to worry about the trip anymore!!! =)

Did you make it okay?

How did everything go?

mine has alot of little things wrong, and i would take her across the us in a heart beat lol. make sure you have extra cash/credit card or something incase something does go wrong... tire or something. change the fluids air up the tires and hit the road! good luck on your trip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my trip was post poned

my trip was postponed!! it was supposed to be for the thanksgiving holiday, and now i'm shooting for christmas. Don't know if i'll be able to make that work out, either. I will let everyone know....how it goes WHEN it finally does!!!!

Back