y2k cobra rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

y2k cobra rims

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport and was wondering if anyone knows if I would have to buy spacers for some 18x9 y2k cobra rims to fit without rubbing badly in the front or back? I also plan on lowering it too. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

if you search a few people have done it. I believe the only rubbing occurs against the front sway bar at full turn. General opinion seems to be not to use spacers. Not sure if the people with the Y2ks were running real wheels or knockoffs, which may have different backspacing etc available

99 mounty is running spacers on his with the y2ks. ask him

there are many ways to combat the rubbing issues other than spacers. buy them, get them on the truck, and if they rub, tell us were the rub.

i got y2ks with 255/55/18 tires.

they rub significantly in the front. they touch the upper A-arm. what i did to fix the problem was get 1.5" al6061t6 spacers all around... this fixed the problem. no rubbing even at full turn. 1.5" makes the rear look real nice. however, it does make the tires stick out a little in the front fenders. after re-doing the math, you only need a .75" spacer in the front to use the y2k rims. however, the smallest spacers w/ lugs you can get are 1".... so if you get y2k rims -- put in 1" spacers in the front, and 1.5" in the rear, and you're good to go.

y2ks have +36mm offset, and y2000s have +24mm. if you want to avoid spacers, get y2000s.

Back