• Register Today It's free!

YJ dana 30

93liftedXLT

Reaction score
City, State
left coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have been cruising this forum for about a year, the same amount that if had a 5.5 lift and soa on my explorer,

i am thinking about buying a 91 dana 30 XJ, thats set-up for leafs, i was curious, what kinda leafs would be good to run when i do the install? untill i buy some good flexing leafs,

Stock yj leafs or new ones?

Say i complete the dana 30 on stock yj leafs, then i decide to buy new leafs, would they bolt in, or with the help of shackles, or would i have to cut on the custom mounts, and extend them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think Yomie's SAS thread discussed this for a little bit.

If you buy new leaves and they aren't made for the front of the YJ, then yes, you will have to redo the hangers. Pick a model leaf and stick with it. If you decide to go with YJ leaves, when you upgrade, you will need to buy YJ lift springs or ones of the same length. Wagoneer springs to seem to work better though than the YJ leaves.

Also, I'm sure you meant YJ when you said XJ, because XJ's are coil sprung in the front.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to do a lot of research. Read the through the SAS registry. You'll find all the info you need.

Whatever leafs you set it up for is basically the only leaf you are going to be able to swap in. Leaf springs are made in a variety of lengths width and so forth. From what i understand YJ leafs are too soft, you will end up having to add leafs to stiffen them up a bit. I used 70's-80's Grand waggy leafs (stock height) they also come in a 2.5" lifted version (Rancho 44044) Sprung over here are some pics.

Looks good, what leaf's are you currently using?

Yomie said:
I used 70's-80's Grand waggy leafs (stock height)
didnt the wagoneer leaves come in two version (5 leaves and 7 leaves)? i just wanna make sure 93liftedXLT knows before he starts looking for wagoneer leaves.

Yes the stock waggy leafs come in a 5 leaf and a 7 leaf (HD) design. I went with the 5 -leaf and i am wishing i went with the 7-leaf. The 5 leaf flex great but are really soft and sagged a bit over 2 years. The 7 leaf will flex just as good (there are more leafs but they are thinner) and will not sag as much.

THe 2.5" lifted version from rancho will be a 7 leaf also.

Here is a shot at ride height

To clarify my first post....

Whatever 'make' leaf you set it up with will be the only leaf you will be able to swap in without cutting and rewelding hangers.

What i mean by this is, if you use YJ leafs, you will be able to swap ANY YJ leaf... stock height.....3" lift.....and so forth

So if you set it up with YJ leafs you will NOT be able to swap in Waggy leafs or Yota leafs, and the other way around

IZwack said:
didnt the wagoneer leaves come in two version (5 leaves and 7 leaves)? i just wanna make sure 93liftedXLT knows before he starts looking for wagoneer leaves.

Thanks for pointing that out, I would of bought a couple diff set of leaves, thinkin they would fit..lol

Back