• Register Today It's free!

Yuck!!! please help me!!

Kirk_Dunkley

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sport
ok everyone, please help me out, I need to convince my dad that lifting an explorer does not jeoprdize reliability, handling or safety. Please leave messages regarding your experiences with the above after a lift compared to befor. Ireally want to do this. I have heard that it makes the explorer safer, and it does not affect reliability. I only want 33 inch tires!! HELP!! thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this has been discussed before. I believe Blazergoalie started the thread. You might try a search on that.

Well, with 31's and 2" of suspension lift, I had to avoid a deer at about 45MPH, went left lock then right lock. Didn't lift a wheel. Just slid a little.

well if it has been discussed befor discuss it again - it doesnt exist anymore. thanks for the help.

WELL, im in the same boat and i finally talked my pops into it. i just have to save money for it. but you just gotta work on him and he will eventually give in. at least thats what happened for me. another question, are you gonna by the X on your own? cause i dont see why he would have a problem about liftin it if you were payin for it.

Originally posted by Kirk_Dunkley
ok everyone, please help me out, I need to convince my dad that lifting an explorer does not jeoprdize reliability, handling or safety. Please leave messages regarding your experiences with the above after a lift compared to befor. Ireally want to do this. I have heard that it makes the explorer safer, and it does not affect reliability. I only want 33 inch tires!! HELP!! thanks all.
Lifting your explorer does jeoprdize reliability, handling and safety! If your dad knows anything about cars he will know the truth. 33 inch tires are very large. Why don't you start out fourwheeling with the stock config until you figure out what you really need?

I hate to be giving you a lecture because I'm a kid too but I'd hate to see something bad happen to you or your explorer. :nono:

lifting is going to put alot stress and all onto components that arent ment to hold 33" tires... let alone be slamming around off road.... theres alot of money involved in lifting up any car..... and definatly alot in lifting an x.... if you wana do it do it right... save the money.... buy it all and do it right the first time... and make sure you have some in the back too.... because anyone here will tell you..... stuff will break that your not expecting too..... tranny.... u joints..... make sure you have money to gear it down too.... 33's will put alot of stress on the tranny..... and young kids... like us... dont have a light foot..... im getting my gears right now.... try running 35's with 3:73's i get passed by golf carts..... of well just some of my advice......:D

I will second what Jason_25 said. Since you need your Dad's permission to alter your Explorer, I am assuming that you are fairly young. As a young (inexperienced) driver you should have several years (more than 3 or 4) of driving experience before you make your vehicle more difficult to handle. Most people here that have put on a lift (myself included) have many years of driving experience and several of those years were in our Explorer before the lift. Putting on a lift will not make your Explorer less safe to any appreciable extent to an experienced driver. A stock Explorer though is enough of a handful in an emergency situation to an inexperienced driver though. The added height from a lift will raise your center of gravity increasing the possibility of a rollover. The larger tires are heavier and thus harder to stop when stepping on the brakes. The added weight and the fact that it is unsprung increases wear on components that weren't designed to carry the extra weight. When a lift is done properly and other steps are taken a Lifted Explorer is perfectly safe and reliable. You can't just slap on a lift and taller tires and hand over the keys to an inexperienced driver and feel good about it. I know I wouldn't to my kids. I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'm giving you my point of view as a Father that has a lifted Explorer with taller tires.

I EXTREMELY CONCUR with Jason_25 (hey!) and Robert. The truth is in both of their posts. You put yourself in a higher bracket when you lift in all areas.

I had an open diff'd 3.55, 96 F-150 Eddie Bauer. I was the constant butt of jokes because it was an Eddie Bauer (stock, save panel K&N and 31" BFG Muds). I got the brunt of it from a friend of mine with a '98 F-150, 4inch sus. lift and 33" 16's. I was leading on a trail and warned him previously of a tight turn that we had to navigate and he said "No Problem, I have a better truck than you!". Behind on that turn all I saw was both airbags deploy and almost rolled into a tree, I was laughing so hard at him! He won't tell me to this day what he did. He said "Why didn't you hit it, well since I have the INFERIOR truck, I guess my right foot is better. I think he realized that he was in a lifted truck and could take more risks. I never got stuck in the 5 speed, 302 because of the right foot. I still have yet to be stuck. I don't chance anything, will eventually, I'll have to roll the dice, it's a question of when!

Think long and hard about this before acting, read, read and read some more. Triple check and remember the bigger the tires the more stress on unmodfied components. Axle shafts, Joints, Steering Box (even though Ford has the best rep for this), etc. Do your homework and acquire facts, opinions (good ones) for a few months and go over this with your pop and maybe he lean towards it. Take it seriously and not like a spur of the moment thing and he just might listen and consider it! Good Luck! hope this helps at all!

Jason

hey there

ok here is the scoop, I dont intend on taking it off road, It is going to be a show truck. I have been driving for 6 years, and that is in a bronco.

by show truck I mean just for looks I guess. I want to know if the superlift kit for 96-01 explorer would be fine for this- 31-33 inch tires are in store. this will likely happen in a few years anyways.

:confused: You can drive at the age of 12 in Canada?:confused:

if you have been driving for 6 years? would you not be old enough to not have your parents consent? were you like 11 or 12?

Back