What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Gave my 5th gen a new cabin air filter today.

Inside had been smelling like hell for a while. The filter didn't look all that dirty, but my senses told me different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been thinking about doing the inset hood decal. I've found various options, but I want to be different, so I'm considering doing it with Kryptek, in either Typhon or Yeti. Maybe Raid. Thoughts? I know it's not everyone's thing, and honestly, I'm not sure it will be mine. I kind of like the idea of it being more subtle, which is why I'm considering Yeti on my white paint.

http://usnightvision.com/sheet-vinyl-camouflage-kryptek-camo/

2561_zoom_1457386256.jpg

2560_zoom_1457386247.jpg

2559_zoom_1457386235.jpg

Of course, it won't have the logo, just the pattern. It would be $30 or $45, depending on where it stops, either at the windshield side edge of the hood, or just short of it, because I think I measured it at 26" to the edge.

Either way, there could be enough left to do other small parts, which I hadn't been thinking about until now, but I could do the black part of the mirrors above the turn signals (the part that's body color on higher trims), and/or the door handles. That might be too much though.

So, throw some opinions at me.

Please don't ruin that beautiful Explorer with that decal.

Please don't ruin that beautiful Explorer with that decal.

Well, I'm definitely not going to do anything other than the hood, if at all. I'm thinking the white would actually just make it look like the hood was dirty. I do still like these over just the plain black.

Today I got just about 1/2 of the Explorer clayed and waxed. I did from the right front fender to the left rear quarter, going across the front and down the left side. So, still have to do the right side doors, quarter, tailgate, rear bumper, and roof. What a pain! I'd be surprised if it's ever been done before. I've found a bunch of little orange spots, that at first I thought were rust, but thankfully turned out to be something else. I have no idea what, but it comes off.

It doesn't stand out as much as it did on my black Grand Cherokee, but I can definitely see a color difference, plus the shine difference, in the panels that are done next to ones that aren't.

I also finally got the Explorer lettering on the hood. I wanted to get the wax done first, so I didn't have to work around the lettering.

When I bought it, along with my extended warranty, I added a protection package for interior and exterior. They provided some products I'm required to use twice a year, on the exterior, and on the leather. The exterior is a "renewer", whatever that means. Goes on and comes off like liquid wax. So it went clay, then renewer, then two coats of Meguiar's Gold Class Caranuba wax. 3 1/2 hours in, and probably that much more tomorrow to finish, though I think the roof, as bad as it looks, is going to take longer to clay.

IMG_20170221_152108.jpg

Well, I'm definitely not going to do anything other than the hood, if at all. I'm thinking the white would actually just make it look like the hood was dirty. I do still like these over just the plain black.

Today I got just about 1/2 of the Explorer clayed and waxed. I did from the right front fender to the left rear quarter, going across the front and down the left side. So, still have to do the right side doors, quarter, tailgate, rear bumper, and roof. What a pain! I'd be surprised if it's ever been done before. I've found a bunch of little orange spots, that at first I thought were rust, but thankfully turned out to be something else. I have no idea what, but it comes off.

It doesn't stand out as much as it did on my black Grand Cherokee, but I can definitely see a color difference, plus the shine difference, in the panels that are done next to ones that aren't.

I also finally got the Explorer lettering on the hood. I wanted to get the wax done first, so I didn't have to work around the lettering.

When I bought it, along with my extended warranty, I added a protection package for interior and exterior. They provided some products I'm required to use twice a year, on the exterior, and on the leather. The exterior is a "renewer", whatever that means. Goes on and comes off like liquid wax. So it went clay, then renewer, then two coats of Meguiar's Gold Class Caranuba wax. 3 1/2 hours in, and probably that much more tomorrow to finish, though I think the roof, as bad as it looks, is going to take longer to clay.

View attachment 95727

Looking good, @Jon M!!!

Looking good, @Jon M!!!

Thanks! After getting such an up close look at that front bumper cover, I really want to have it repainted. It's so banged up! And the cover for the tow hook attachment is discolored. Badly. I was hoping that the clay would fix that, but it didn't.

Well, it's done. The channels under the roof rack were gross! Mildew and mold on the left side, and mildew on the right. I guess they don't drain or dry out well after rain.

I found this...sealant?...around the top of the tail gate. Did they just fail to paint it, or does this have something to do with the exhaust in the cabin issue?

IMG_20170222_184244.jpg

Well, it's done. The channels under the roof rack were gross! Mildew and mold on the left side, and mildew on the right. I guess they don't drain or dry out well after rain.

I found this...sealant?...around the top of the tail gate. Did they just fail to paint it, or does this have something to do with the exhaust in the cabin issue?

View attachment 95747

wow... what is that? sealant?

I doubt it has anything to do with the exhaust leak and everything to do with water leaking inside. With air moving over the roof the exhaust shouldn't be an issue there. In the water leak thread there are several posts indicating leaking from the liftgate seams.

Peter

Today I added Navigation to my 2013 XLT. I used the ODB Genie kit and it was great. I'm a luddite so swapping the APIM, etc. seemed daunting so the Genie kit worked out well for me. I watched the video a couple of times before I ordered. Everything went extremely smoothly and within 45 minutes, most of which was download time, I had a fully functioning NAV system without having to use a single tool.

I tested it by setting destinations and running my errands using it. VERY COOL. Better than my Garmin portable GPS ... and with the Ford NAV when I took an alternate route / short cut it simply adjusted and continues whereas my Garmin would say in a voice that actually sounded irritated, "RE-CALCULATING!"

Anyway, I had confirmed that if the dealer or someone re-flashed without my knowledge, the kit could reprogram in the NAV as it is matched to my VIN.

Very Happy with the product and the functioning of the new NAV.

Today I added Navigation to my 2013 XLT. I used the ODB Genie kit and it was great. I'm a luddite so swapping the APIM, etc. seemed daunting so the Genie kit worked out well for me. I watched the video a couple of times before I ordered. Everything went extremely smoothly and within 45 minutes, most of which was download time, I had a fully functioning NAV system without having to use a single tool.

I tested it by setting destinations and running my errands using it. VERY COOL. Better than my Garmin portable GPS ... and with the Ford NAV when I took an alternate route / short cut it simply adjusted and continues whereas my Garmin would say in a voice that actually sounded irritated, "RE-CALCULATING!"

Anyway, I had confirmed that if the dealer or someone re-flashed without my knowledge, the kit could reprogram in the NAV as it is matched to my VIN.

Very Happy with the product and the functioning of the new NAV.

I hadn't heard of OBD Genie, so I just looked out of curiosity. $799? Ouch!

I think that system is slick, no hardware changeouts and completely stock look.

Navigation ordered from the factory isn't much cheaper so it's not a bad deal.

I had mine wrapped. It cost me $20 per door handle. He removed the handle and wrapped it matte black.
View attachment 95701 View attachment 95702

Hey,
Where did you get your door handles wrapped ? after blacking out just about everything else on my sport, the chrome handles are bugging me more and more. Looking to get them done soon but haven't found a good deal. for $20 bucks each yours came out great and look nice.

Hey,
Where did you get your door handles wrapped ? after blacking out just about everything else the sport, the chrome handles are bugging me more and more. Looking to get them done soon but haven't found a good deal. for $20 bucks each yours came out great and look nice.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
A long time to create your first post.:)
Check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/painting-or-plastic-dip-door-handles.376098/
There are also other threads where members have blacked out various items. You can find the by using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right) and searching in the "Modified" sub forum.

Peter

I think that system is slick, no hardware changeouts and completely stock look.

Navigation ordered from the factory isn't much cheaper so it's not a bad deal.

... and if I can do it, anyone can do it. Easy peasy and works GREAT. Plus, if my car gets unintentionally re-flashed, I can simply reload everything and get NAV back.

Hey,
Where did you get your door handles wrapped ? after blacking out just about everything else on my sport, the chrome handles are bugging me more and more. Looking to get them done soon but haven't found a good deal. for $20 bucks each yours came out great and look nice.

A local guy around my area. I'm in Streamwood, IL. The guy wrapped the rest of the Crome around all my car and I talked him down to $20 for the door handles. All in all, total work was $300. He normally does it for $35 each.

A local guy around my area. I'm in Streamwood, IL. The guy wrapped the rest of the Crome around all my car and I talked him down to $20 for the door handles. All in all, total work was $300. He normally does it for $35 each.
Do you mind PMing me his info ? really want to get this done next. Even at $35 each its a good deal, one place I got a quote from wanted $60 each and wanted me to just bring him the door handles already off the car, and even then he didn't sound confident doing them. I'm on the north side so going to Streamwood isn't a issue for me.

Do you mind PMing me his info ? really want to get this done next. Even at $35 each its a good deal, one place I got a quote from wanted $60 each and wanted me to just bring him the door handles already off the car, and even then he didn't sound confident doing them. I'm on the north side so going to Streamwood isn't a issue for me.

That guy I originally went to owned RageWraps. I think his name was Paul. I found him on Yelp. Here's his website http://www.ragewraps.com/index.html
He worked out of his garage but I've messaged him a few times for more work that I wanted done but he hasn't responded so I took my car to Top Coverage.

Top Coverage
Auto Customization
1625 Dundee Ave
Elgin, IL 60120
(847) 697-2090
http://www.topcoveragenorth.com

They're the ones who plasti-dipped my front grille, smoked my tail lights and powder coated my OEM wheels before I got my Velgen VMB6's (photos below). They do wrap work but it might be cheaper to do a plastic-dip. Ask for Paul Campbell.

He's the owner and tell him that I recommended their shop to you. Jon Noriega - Ford Explorer Platinum - "The Skechers Guy". He'll work out a deal with you, that is, if you want to hike it up to Elgin, IL. If you go to them, you can swing by my pad and check out the work I've done to my car in person :)

Check out one of my first posts here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-first-post-in-elite.457251/

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I've had my Ex for 7 days now. So far, I've:
  • Activated remote start, and DRLs.
  • I changed the headlights to LEDs.
  • Put in the K&N filter that replaces the stock paper one.
  • Changed the very nasty cabin filter.
  • Got my 5 button keys cut & programmed today.
  • Removed a really crappy Plasti Dip job from the grill and wheels
  • Updated MFT to v3.8
  • Updated Nav to A7
  • Installed a Console Vault
  • Started touching up scratches
Tomorrow, I will:
  • Install my Aries floor liners
  • Install a new turn signal switch, to get rid of the really difficult one
  • Install a rear seat cover (I have dogs)
  • Install a soft cargo area cover (like the seat cover)
  • Change the combo on the Console Vault
  • Continue touching up scratches
  • If all goes well, install the rear bumper protector (depends on the status of the touch up)
I am going to redo the grill in black, but leaving the chrome exposed, and I ordered some black wheel covers, that match the OEM wheels, and are held on by clips and 3 of the lug nuts. I've had something similar in the past, and they work well, without having to paint.

I also have a ProClip mount on the way for my phone holder. I'm debating between a bug shield, and the Explorer lettering on the hood. Also considering vent visors. I'm thinking I can get away without them, with the remote start.

View media item 776
View media item 772
View media item 775
View media item 774
View media item 773
These are the LED headlights. They fit with the dust covers on, and they're adjustable, so you can change where the LEDs point; if you want them on top and bottom, vs left and right, you can turn them in the socket.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M049TFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your Ex is looking great.

What make / model wheels are those black ones with the Ford center cap? Really a nice look.

Also, how was the installation of the Console Vault? I want to get one for mine but didn't know how much of a pain installation would be. I'd like a decent, easy to access but secure storage place for stuff.
THANKS for any info.

Your Ex is looking great.

What make / model wheels are those black ones with the Ford center cap? Really a nice look.

Also, how was the installation of the Console Vault? I want to get one for mine but didn't know how much of a pain installation would be. I'd like a decent, easy to access but secure storage place for stuff.
THANKS for any info.

Thanks!

They're actually wheel skins.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381754347662?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The console vault is easy. It drops in, and then there are two bolts.

I still like it, but I was surprised and a little disappointed that it isn't a complete box. There's no bottom; it's just the bottom of the console compartment. It's the top, front, back, and sides. The sides are split, and hinged, so the back swings forward to allow it through the console opening, then back to fit. Then you put in the bolts. They don't penetrate the plastic of the console, but press it out, so it will mark it, but not put holes in it. It's not perfect, but it's at least as good as having one of the ones that goes on the floor with a cable.

1039ConsoleVaultOpen.jpg

The lighter part on the side is the part that swings forward, and then there's the bolt hole.

I added a magnet on each side, ones that are coated to prevent scratches, to hold my pistol upright. I am going to change the bolts that come with it for something like a rounded head hex bolt, because the bolt heads are a bit sharp, and I end up hitting them when I take hold of the grip of the pistol.

There are some gaps that will allow small things to move under the edges, which becomes a pain, because you have to take it out to get to them. It's only happened once, because I learned my lesson, but I had to take it out to get a small screwdriver, and a USB drive out of the console.

The other negative is that you can't have anything plugged into the outlet, and still get the vault opened. That's left me forced to use the one in the smaller front compartment for my phone, and that door won't close with the wire coming through it, so I ended up taking a Dremel to the edge to make room for the wire.

You can set the combo on the mechanical one, but don't ever forget it, because there's no override.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went to where they install lights, sirens, etc. on police Explorers today. I saw a 2017 with a strange, textured hood. It was either a composite / synthetic material but seemed like someone sprayed it with a really coarse bed liner material. I'll take pics and ask about it if it's still there today. I was asking the guys about where to mount fogs on my Ex.

Added a black rubber protector on the bumper behind the lift gate. Went with the non-OEM one because it wraps over the edge nicely. I let it sit in the sun to warm up and this made it easier to bend it to conform with the curve of the bumper.

Lastly, I installed my front and second row Husky Weatherbeater liners. I had installed the 3rd row down version liner earlier and liked the material they use so I bought these. My only criticism is the very prominent label that jumps out at you when you first look into the vehicle. Has anyone removed them? How? If the labels were a little more subtle I wouldn't mind but since they are not "sponsoring" me I dislike having such a prominent plug for the company in my all black interior.

Back