******* U-joints | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

******* U-joints

Actually, I broke this axle shaft when my vehicle was stuck in mud.

axleshaft_01.jpg

In this situation, the entire wheel was submerged in a river bank and therefore pretty much half of the entire tire's surface had firm grip on the ground in front of it. The river bed was just the consistency to not allow the tires to climb up on top of the surface and the tires therefore just kept moving earth out and to the side -- the tire with the broken axle shaft was just being dragged. Eventually the vehicle just dug two trenches (one for each tire track) with 3 ft walls and a path between the tires where earth was dragged by the axle and dumped into the river.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now i break the joints and just bend the shafts. I guess im not to hard on mine.

Is that the end of the shaft that would be on the gear end.

Is that the end of the shaft that would be on the gear end.
Yeah it is, right where it narrows just a fraction of an inch and right before the splines start -- thats the weakest point as I found out.

I cant get one to do that. Not that i want to but i only have had one bend the ears on the ujoint side after a ujoint busted.

I cant get one to do that. Not that i want to but i only have had one bend the ears on the ujoint side after a ujoint busted.
I had that happen on the other end of the axle shaft pictured above. Here's the elongated holes caused by the busted U-joint:

axleshaft_02.jpg

The picture was taken a few weeks after the U-joint broke, hence the rust. But thats one end of the U-joint and its accompanying bearing cap still inside that one hole.

broken-outer-shaft-2.gif

Ahhh...bent shafts...ill dream about this now...lol

Wow yours bent weird.

that is pretty weird. i plan on getting spares but i dont have the money for aftermarket ones yet.

Wow yours bent weird.

Thats what i thought. It bent both shafts. I beat the heck out of the inner shaft. I have not had probs since then. :thumbsup:

I dont have the money for the aftermarket shafts either. Im keeping spares.

Back