Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer ! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

Keep hoping for some deep snow to try out my 2011 Ex in, but so far it's done famously in light-to-medium white stuff even with the stock Michelins. Have also had it in the deep sands of OBX the last 2 summers now and it's been really terrific. As others have pointed out, the limiting factors you'll run into first will be ground clearance and suspension travel, but outside of that, it's remarkably capable--especially if you compare it to the other cross-overs in this segment.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've gone up the mountain in "trails" and unpaved rocky roads without any problems

66188_10151819924277481_2097523083_n.jpg

I've gone up the mountain in "trails" and unpaved rocky roads without any problems

66188_10151819924277481_2097523083_n.jpg

That is an awesome picture. I started out not liking the new Explorers, but they've started getting my interest lately, and its nice to know that they can actually go places other than the mall. Might not ever be a rock crawler, but if it does good on light trails I may just get one one day. After I get a Raptor :D

2016 will be the forums's 20th anniversary. I would like to make a tour around the country with my Explorer. I just may make it up your way:chug:

BTW, I started with a brand new Explorer in '93. Started modifying it for my own needs when it had only 500 miles on the clock. Just because it's new doesn't mean you can't have fun:D

My YJ is a 92 and has been a toy since 2000. It only has 68K miles at 21 yrs old. My club ( mostly Jeeps, but we have a few yotas) has access to a few pices of property is SE CT and we wheel all over New England with atleast 1 official ride a month.

The problem with trails around here- there aren't many easy ones suitable for the new Explorer. And the ones that are- I don't really need a $40k minivan to drive on them.

Nice pics:chug:

That is an awesome picture. I started out not liking the new Explorers, but they've started getting my interest lately, and its nice to know that they can actually go places other than the mall. Might not ever be a rock crawler, but if it does good on light trails I may just get one one day. After I get a Raptor :D

exactly...If I wanted something more trail rated I would have gone with something like an FJ or a Wrangler (which I seriously though about buying) but 98% of my time I'm on paved road.

Why buy a car with less street manners and comforts, less technology just because 2% of the time it can go places the Explorer can't.

not off road at all...but still cool. This is at the Salt Lake Flats. The Ex hit 110mph without even flinching.
CIMG0882.jpg

well, I couldn't find a parking space at the local motorcycle dealer, so I parked on the grass. does this count?

Off-road experiences with 4WD Explorer?

I realize that the current Ex is no Jeep Wrangler but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how the 4WD system does in off-road situations? I mainly got the 4WD in mine for the few occasional days of snow/ice or driving up to a ski area but wondering if anyone has tried one out in mud, sand, etc.?

Thanks
Jed

Not really off road, but my 4wd Ex made it up a loose gravel road with a really steep section without a hitch where the FILs 2wd F150 and BILs 2wd Durango got stuck. We actually got thenm up it by everyone jumping in back of the 2 others to give them some traction. It was great to show them up though. This was a road to a cabin we rented and they got there first, called my wife an told us we weren't going to make it up to the cabin in the Explorer. It was nice to see them sitting at the cabin with their vehicles at the bottom when we pulled up at the cabin in the Ex!

I realize that the current Ex is no Jeep Wrangler but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how the 4WD system does in off-road situations? I mainly got the 4WD in mine for the few occasional days of snow/ice or driving up to a ski area but wondering if anyone has tried one out in mud, sand, etc.?

Thanks
Jed
Merging your post/thread with an existing thread on this topic.

Peter

Here's my 2013 Ex Ltd out in Arizona's beautiful red rock country (Sedona)

This wasn't on a difficult 4x4 trail by any means, but a 2WD definitely wouldn't have cut it. I've found that the TMS isn't exactly intuitive... here's what I've found to work best.

Sand Mode - is NOT for dry dirt. If your tires aren't sinking down into dry sand (or frozen snow), this is not the mode you want. Sand mode should be used for deep sand or deep frozen snow (not slush)

Mud mode - When you're driving through deep mud or deep slushy snow.

Snow/Gravel mode - Even though it says "snow", THIS is the mode you want when you are driving on a slippery yet dry surface such as surface sand or a light layer of snow or ice.

FE6l5VW.jpg

V3ySRan.jpg

Oq1acav.jpg

Here's my 2013 Ex Ltd out in Arizona's beautiful red rock country (Sedona)

This wasn't on a difficult 4x4 trail by any means, but a 2WD definitely wouldn't have cut it. I've found that the TMS isn't exactly intuitive... here's what I've found to work best.

Sand Mode - is NOT for dry dirt. If your tires aren't sinking down into dry sand (or frozen snow), this is not the mode you want. Sand mode should be used for deep sand or deep frozen snow (not slush)

Mud mode - When you're driving through deep mud or deep slushy snow.

Snow/Gravel mode - Even though it says "snow", THIS is the mode you want when you are driving on a slippery yet dry surface such as surface sand or a light layer of snow or ice.
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I think a set of slash guards/mud flaps would help a little.:):thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Holy amazing pics Batman...to the carwash!...

Back