If the rear hub isnt wobbly, am I ok to drive on it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If the rear hub isnt wobbly, am I ok to drive on it?

springwater

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer V6 4.0
Passenger side rear (at-least I think its the passenger side) is growling a bit.

But when I put it on a lift and try to wobble it, its tight.

Can I wait to replace it until it gets looser?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what our '04 did as well. My shop was a little stumped because on the lift everything appeared tight, but when driving there was noise and it had also developed the wobble. I would not wait very long to get this addressed..

when driving about 35 or so change lanes while listening to the humm, if it goes away when switching from the right lane to left, its the left side. and opposite switch from left to right its the right side bearing if the noise goes away... how long will it last, would only be a guess i would say, i drove min about 1,200 miles to work and back (17miles each way) a few weeks after replacing the front i now have a rear humer..

My right rear was humming for a few hundred miles, then while on the freeway doing 70 mph, all of a sudden there was kind of a loud pop noise -- I pulled over on this rural stretch of highway and could tell my wheel was close to falling off. I limped it home about ten miles, then to the repair store. So, to me, the hum doesn't just get louder, it goes with a bang. As Clint says "do you feel lucky"

Passenger side rear (at-least I think its the passenger side) is growling a bit.

This has happen to me and one day when I was making sharp turn made the bearing go out and head to replace it.
Time to replace 4 hours
Cost $70.00 to have Napa press out the old and press the new bearing in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2_23_2017_3_32_02_PM.jpg

2_23_2017_3_35_16_PM.jpg

2_23_2017_3_35_31_PM.jpg

when driving about 35 or so change lanes while listening to the humm, if it goes away when switching from the right lane to left, its the left side. and opposite switch from left to right its the right side bearing if the noise goes away... how long will it last, would only be a guess i would say, i drove min about 1,200 miles to work and back (17miles each way) a few weeks after replacing the front i now have a rear humer..

I'm definitely gonna try this.

Mine has been this way for... 10,000+ miles?

@springwater
wheel_10.jpg

Here's the outer race of my rear wheel bearing. I tore the bearing apart just to find out how the hell it lasted so long without catastrophic failure, as described in this thread. I drove it with noise several thousand miles, finally deciding I was pushing my luck. I pinpointed the noise source with a stethoscope with the vehicle on jackstands. Starting out, I thought pinion bearing failure, but the steth. definitely said wheel bearing; much easier fix! I have been criticized for running the truck up on stands with the wheels off, for safety reasons. I should add, such criticism is not groundless. Jackstands must be of best quality. But, the process allowed me to find the exact source of the noise. Thank God it was not in the differential! imp

EDIT: Wait till it gets looser? No. The bearing above was still tighter than hell, and might have given way at any time.

I'm definitely gonna try this.

Mine has been this way for... 10,000+ miles?
I have not got to my rear bearing yet, but for the front, some of the people told here me to stay away the cheap ebay/amazon stuff' and though i found the skf bearings on ebay and they are nice,and these are what i got..
Axle Wheel Bearing And Hub Assembly Repair Kit Rear SKF BR930259K

I have not got to my rear bearing yet, but for the front, some of the people told here me to stay away the cheap ebay/amazon stuff' and though i found the skf bearings on ebay and they are nice,and these are what i got..
Axle Wheel Bearing And Hub Assembly Repair Kit Rear SKF BR930259K

Don't need new hubs unless you damage them on the press removing the old bearings. Just a waste of money.

TECHGURU I have not ordered them yet but i did replace the front hub assembly...

TECHGURU I have not ordered them yet but i did replace the front hub assembly...

Front only comes as a complete HUB unit, hope you got SKF or Motorcraft for the front, anything else don't last long at all.

You planning to do it yourself?

Here is the video on what is involved.

Yah, this is the video Ive been "studying". Wish I had air tools, an air hammer etc.

This guy doesnt remove the toe link but I think Im gonna follow Makuloco.

if it goes away when switching from the right lane to left, its the left side. and opposite switch from left to right its the right side bearing if the noise goes away.
I have replaced both rear bearings and the differential. I still have a roar that stops if I turn right. I can go to an empty parking lot and turn right all day with no noise, but any other direction and it roars from zero MPH on up. It used to start the bearing sound at 35 MPH and gradually started roaring at lower and lower speeds. Now it roars all the time I'm moving, except if I'm turning right.

Very frustrating!

I have replaced both rear bearings and the differential. I still have a roar that stops if I turn right. I can go to an empty parking lot and turn right all day with no noise, but any other direction and it roars from zero MPH on up. It used to start the bearing sound at 35 MPH and gradually started roaring at lower and lower speeds. Now it roars all the time I'm moving, except if I'm turning right.

Very frustrating!

Right front wheel bearing?

Or you damaged the right rear wheel bearing during installation or used one other than SKF or Motorcraft.

Right front wheel bearing?

Or you damaged the right rear wheel bearing during installation or used one other than SKF or Motorcraft.

Tech, can the snap ring be reused?

I ask because neither the SKF nor Timken bearings come with a new one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Number Twelve it may be a u joint or something in the drive train. I have a rear ujoint and a rear bearings making noise..

Back