1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1994 Ranger shifting late into 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by mikmic2, August 27, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mikmic2

mikmic2 New Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      1999 Mountaineer
      I have a 1994 Ranger 2WD with a 4.0 liter engine, and an automatic transmission. Just recently one day it started shifting real late into 2nd gear, and the tranmission fluid level shows it to be way over full.

Is this a governor issue? What is the cause of the transmission fluid level being way over full?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know how to get the governor out, if it's in the extension housing on the transmission. When I get it out, what am I looking for? Should I just clean it and put it back together?

Why does our local transmission shop say not to change the fluid on a transmission that hasn't had regular fluid changes. They say you will more then likely cause a problem if you do so.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ilh

ilh Member

City, State:
      richmond, bc
      Year and Model:
      '02 ST
      The only thing that causes the truck to have too much fluid is someone physically putting too much fluid in. Are you reading the dipstick when it's hot and in park? If so, how much mileage is on the fluid? maybe it's time to change it anyways. do the governor, the fluid and the filter all at once and hopefully your problems are fixed. (i dont know much about the governor myself.)

the only reason i can think of is because they'd rather make money on transmission overhauls then transmission flushes... 90% of trannies that havent had regular fluid changes are abused already so they probably want you to finish the job early.

4. zkt

zkt New Member

I`m not an expert on Ford transmissions and dont even know what which one is in your truck. But I did just recently rebuild an AW4 Jeep 4 speed automatic. Its problem was a delayed 1 to 2 shift when cold and shifted normally when up to operating temp. The problem was simply a dirty 1-2 shift valve in the throttle body. If you have the intelligence not to vote for McCain, some mechanical experience and the ATSG service book for your transmission you can probably fix it yourself.
      The detergents in tranny fluid that help prevent sludge, crud, and varnish buildup could loosen the stuff that is already there and cause a shaft valve to stick.

Last edited: August 30, 2008
    5. mikmic2

mikmic2 New Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      1999 Mountaineer
      Thanks guys, I finally found the problem. The little rubber hose between the modulator, and the steel line that went up to the intake, had fallen off. It was hard to see, between the heatshield, and transmission, but I put a new hose from the steel line to the modulator, and all is well.

Hey ZKT, this is an automotive forum, not a place to push your political positions. :thumbsup:

6. zkt

zkt New Member

Good to know it wasn`t the shift valve.
      The Devil took holt of me and made me type those things.
      He makes me do it every chance I get. <hint>
      I think it was cause I watched The Exorcist the other night.
      :thumbsup::usa: