2003 Sport Trac Rear Quarter Panel removal/installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac Rear Quarter Panel removal/installation

jbaloo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
My son busted the right rear quarter panel on our 2003 Sport Trac. I've found some potential donor trucks but I'm unsure if I can simply remove/replace just the quarter panel or if I would need to replace the entire bed. Can anyone offer any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can change one side, but changing the bed is easier. You have to take the bed off to get to the front fasteners anyway.

Yes you can change one side, but changing the bed is easier. You have to take the bed off to get to the front fasteners anyway.
Oh, nooooooo! To change out the right rear quarter panel, the bed has to be removed?!?! Yikes. That is what I was afraid of. I found a replacement in my local U-Pull-It for ~ $115. (I need to replace the right rear quarter panel of my 2001 Sport Trac.) UGH!

20220409_Sport Trac right rear fender.jpg

Oh, nooooooo! To change out the right rear quarter panel, the bed has to be removed?!?! Yikes. That is what I was afraid of. I found a replacement in my local U-Pull-It for ~ $115. (I need to replace the right rear quarter panel of my 2001 Sport Trac.) UGH!

View attachment 428468
...and the closest instruction video I could find was on removing the left, front fender of a '02-'05 Explorer (kinda/sorta, but not the same...at...all)

Bed removal isn't all that bad. I swapped the bumper at the same time. I don't remember how that might have affected the bed swap, but as I recall the two aren't connected at all. Here's a link to the thread of when I swapped the bed on my truck.

To remove just one side, you have to unbolt the bed in order to access the vertical row of bolts that attach the side to the front. There's a row of bolts along the upper inside of the box as well. Probably more too - inner wheelwell liner, etc. Once everything is unbolted, the side of the bed supposedly peels - and I do mean peels - off the under structure. I've never done it, and don't remember where I saw this info. It's possible, but is involved. Swapping the entire bed is much more straightforward and not too bad. The bed is surprisingly light, too, especially without the tailgate, which is almost as heavy as the rest of the bed. If you remove the tailgate, the box is front heavy.

I was able to get mine off with just taking the bed bolts out and moving it back a little bit to get to the front torx bolts. The big problem can be rusted bolts. Take your time and good luck.

I was able to get mine off with just taking the bed bolts out and moving it back a little bit to get to the front torx bolts. The big problem can be rusted bolts. Take your time and good luck.
Attempt #1 - while working to take the inner fender liner off, one 7/32-head bolt was particularly ornery. WD-40 was some help, but ultimately I need a pivoting socket wrench or extender (there is at least one around here - somewhere - in my father's tools)...does seem like taking the tire off would be beneficial, but that ain't happening. ;)
eBay has a seller who has the part for $300 and that is starting to look like a deal.
Maaco will swap out the fenders for ~ $260.
If I can do the swap myself with the U-Pull-It part, the cost will be less than $120.

Back