Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

Hi - A few questions

Do you remember what fuse you used? Nope

How did you insert the wire? Did use an "add a circuit" adaptor? I spliced and soldered into the wire behind the fuse box.

Where you able to put the fuse box cover back on? Yep.. didn't do the work in the fuse box.

What did you use for the ground? I believe I used the same ground as the map lights.

-------

The wires for the map light are pretty easy to access, so I'm on the fence as to which way to go.

Thx!!

On edit..my running wires down the A-Pillar was for my radar detector. I tapped the maplights for my homelink.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can buy the visor with the buttons from Ford and just plug it in to an already there connector. Not sure though.

I think you can buy the visor with the buttons from Ford and just plug it in to an already there connector. Not sure though.

You can..for a price.

Does anyone know if the information in this thread is still valid for a 2012 Ex? I have an XLT and want to swap out the visor for one with a garage door opener.

I've gone to the websites which are linked to in this thread, and the parts are still available for a decent price in my area. Just wondering if anything has changed with the new model year that would make this procedure a bad idea.

Anyone?

Please correct me if I am wrong.... but, I believe the Explorers equipped with an auto-dimming mirror use a Gentex model.

If the plug on it is the standard one, which I would hope would be the case, I think it would be possible to swap it out for one of these mirrors:

Gentex

I did this with my wife's Subaru and it was perfect. You can find the different models on Amazon at a savings, and installation is straightforward. Took me about 20 minutes to install, and that was mostly because the Subaru needed an adapter that most American cars shouldn't.

From what I understand, the universal opener in the Explorer can be finicky to program with some devices. The Homelink is super easy.

When my wife buys her new Ex, I will pull the one out of the Subaru and slap it into the Ex. That way we can have 6 things programmed, and an extra compass too!

Update:

So I stopped by the Ford dealership today and did a bit of investigating. The connector on the mirror (which is a Gentex) must be custom for Ford. The Gentex mirror in my Subaru has a smaller connector, while the Ford has a larger connector. Both have 3 wires leading to them, but the Subie mirror also has a jumper wire mixed in, that is on my car, which came with the mirror factory installed. I will check my wife's car when she gets home, she has the after market mirror that I bought and installed.

I'll update again when I have a little more info.

On a side note, the 2012's still have the tin drum sound above the windshield, how disappointing!

Does anyone know if the information in this thread is still valid for a 2012 Ex? I have an XLT and want to swap out the visor for one with a garage door opener.

I've gone to the websites which are linked to in this thread, and the parts are still available for a decent price in my area. Just wondering if anything has changed with the new model year that would make this procedure a bad idea.

Anyone?

I replaced the visor on my 2012 xlt with visor that has garage door
opener. Was told 2011 and 2012 are the same.

2013 Sun visor w/Homelink

Anyone know if this MY 2011-2012 'home link - sun visor' replacement discussion is the same for the 2013 XLT?

Anyone know if this MY 2011-2012 'home link - sun visor' replacement discussion is the same for the 2013 XLT?
Welcome to the Forum moe-jiller. :wavey:
The 2011 did not have 'Home Link'. It had what they called Car2U (Universal Garge Door Opener). It is also referred to as Home Automation System.
The Home Link came out in the 2012 models. Since a member said that the 2011 and 2012 visors were interchangeable, it should work on the 2013 as well since I assune it is identical to the 2012.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for the reply - Any information / verification that the 2013 XLT already has the required electrical connector(s) in the headliner/visor wiring bundle? ajm

2013 xlt

I just swapped out visor with 2012 visor with garage door opener. Wiring and harness the same. Ordered through Tasca got it for $100+ less than dealership. What was said earlier about plug taped was true had to free it. All went well.

It was a Car2U.

Old Genie

I just swapped out visor with 2012 visor with garage door opener. Wiring and harness the same. Ordered through Tasca got it for $100+ less than dealership. What was said earlier about plug taped was true had to free it. All went well.

It was a Car2U.
I needed to order a conversion module since my Genie Garage door opener's frequency is no longer used. Another $35.00. I'll let y'all know if any trouble once it arrives and I install it. DONE - Installed conversion module easily and remote programmed easily and visor opener now works. All successful!

Are the visors in the 2011 the same as the 2013? I may do this swap myself!

Which way are you planning to swap? 2013 to 2011 or 2011 to 2013? Your profile shows you have an 05 XLT. I doubt that is the one you are talking about? ;)
I think the only difference may be that the 2013 has 'Homelink' while the 2011 has the 'Car2U' program.

Peter

I used a 2012 for my 2013, and an earlier post said 2012 was the same as 2011.

just revisited this thread - great to hear it's working out for everyone. My next plan is to get the body-colored front grill - our EXP is red - really like the way that looks on the LTD...

just revisited this thread - great to hear it's working out for everyone. My next plan is to get the body-colored front grill - our EXP is red - really like the way that looks on the LTD...
I have the white tri-coat Limited with matching coloured grill. On many of the darker XLT colours I really like that the grill is a silver colour. I think it breaks it up and really sets it off. But, that is only my opinion.
Good luck with your quest. :thumbsup:

Peter

Visor

2011 fits 2012 and 2012 fits 2013, so my answer would be yes 2011 will fit 2012.:salute:

Medium Light Stone/Charcoal?

Hey, I'd like to order the visor from TascaParts, but they are offering only Charcoal. My 2012 Explorer XLT has the Medium Light Stone interior, but the visor itself is Black. I'm wondering if all the visors are Black and Tasca is listing them all as Charcoal.

Anybody have any idea?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, I'd like to order the visor from TascaParts, but they are offering only Charcoal. My 2012 Explorer XLT has the Medium Light Stone interior, but the visor itself is Black. I'm wondering if all the visors are Black and Tasca is listing them all as Charcoal.

Anybody have any idea?
Thanks!
I have a Platinum White with the light stone interior and the visor and roof as well as the carpet is black. I believe all Explorers have that regardless of exterior colour.
BTW, welcome to the Forum Devildog1.:wavey:

Peter

Back