Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

Hi, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with lights in the driver's side visor. I'd like to add a Homelink module to it and was wondering if it's as easy as swapping out the visor with one that has the Homelink module in it?

Also, are other MY/Models compatible with the 2016 or do I have to stick with the same year and Model (ie: 2016 Ford Explorer)?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I found this thread using the Forum's handy 'Search' function and merged yours with it. Post 62 provides a link to a DIY install of the button.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Confirmed: 2015 works in 2016

I was able to source a visor w/ homelink from a 2015 and successfully installed in my wife's 2016 Explorer. It took a little longer than I thought since the connector is glued down. Took a total of 20min. Easy mod!

2013 visor with garage door opener

I don't know about the 2011 visor but the 2012 visor does fit the 2013. If you go that way be sure to check the place where I got mine vs the dealer price.

Trying or thinking of trying to add home link to a 2017 XLT. Suggestions/ Help

i used to use this on a convertible I had when I didn't want to lose the opener when the top was left down.

https://www.flashtoopen.com

Hey, guys. A total noob here (first post)... I also just bought a 2017 XLT for my wife (yesterday, as a matter of fact). My wife had a 2012 Edge Limited, so the first thing she did when I handed the car to her was point out all the things her old car had that the new one did not (which, of course, PO'd me!). The two things that really bug her are the seat memory (I am 6'5" and she is 5'10"), and from the research I have already done, there is nothing I can do about that, and the Homelink, which apparently I can fix. What I was wondering is where is the best place to source the Homelink visor from. I am pretty much sure I can pull this off (I have been tinkering with stuff for years now), but I do not want to put visors that look old on a brand new car, so I would rather buy some new ones, if possible.

Hey, guys. A total noob here (first post)... I also just bought a 2017 XLT for my wife (yesterday, as a matter of fact). My wife had a 2012 Edge Limited, so the first thing she did when I handed the car to her was point out all the things her old car had that the new one did not (which, of course, PO'd me!). The two things that really bug her are the seat memory (I am 6'5" and she is 5'10"), and from the research I have already done, there is nothing I can do about that, and the Homelink, which apparently I can fix. What I was wondering is where is the best place to source the Homelink visor from. I am pretty much sure I can pull this off (I have been tinkering with stuff for years now), but I do not want to put visors that look old on a brand new car, so I would rather buy some new ones, if possible.

I need 2017 Homelink visor in Black as well. No clues where to get a good deal on it!!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know about other places to get them. Perhaps eBay or Amazon but here is a link to a couple of the auto parts sites;
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=visors
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=visors
This is for a 2016. The 2017 Explorer isn't listed yet on these sites.
Please complete your registration by adding the model years (2017) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know about other places to get them. Perhaps eBay or Amazon but here is a link to a couple of the auto parts sites;
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=visors
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=visors
This is for a 2016. The 2017 Explorer isn't listed yet on these sites.
Please complete your registration by adding the model years (2017) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks Peter my registration shows 2017 Explorer XLT . But I need this parft for a 2017!

Thanks Peter my registration shows 2017 Explorer XLT . But I need this parft for a 2017!
I doubt there would be any change to the 2017 from the 2016. None of these parts sites have a listing yet for the 2017 Explorer. Just checked Fordparts.com and they show the same number (04104) for both the 2016 and 2017. Perhaps your dealer parts department will have better idea of the actual part numbers.

edge929 - the part number for the charcoal visor is BB5Z7804105CA. Also, I found that the price varied greatly depending on which dealer you shop on FordParts.com. Peachstate in Atlanta was the cheapest $225 - The dealer closest to my house, Cherokee Ford was $335!
Try tascaparts.com I had great success with them.

Maybe try tascaparts.com. Darryl seems to like them and recommends them often.
Thanks,
Darryl M Tasca

Maybe try tascaparts.com. Darryl seems to like them and recommends them often.
Thanks,
Darryl M Tasca
Sorry for the repetitive posts still don't feel real comfortable with the mechanics of posting on this site. Once again sorry for the repetitive post. Only used Tascaparts.com once and they were timely and beat the local dealer price by $100+. This was a year or so ago.

Sorry for the repetitive posts still don't feel real comfortable with the mechanics of posting on this site. Once again sorry for the repetitive post. Only used Tascaparts.com once and they were timely and beat the local dealer price by $100+. This was a year or so ago.
Thanks, I am buying the visor w/o the Homelink and adding a Homelink that I bought on ebay.... We'll see how that goes

I recently purchased a used 2016 visor with homelink via eBay for $100 shipped, there are few more on there as of today. Just finished the install into my 2017 Sport, it is plug and play and a breeze to install. Took about 10 minutes.

For the time that I didn't have the visor with homelink I used a wifi device from Chamberlain that hooked up to my current garage door and I was able to close and open my garage via iPhone app while in my car. That alternative cost about a $100 as well.

Received my Homelink visor for my 2017 Exploer XLT which I purchased on EBay. Sorry, didn't find any $100.00 ones nor did I find any $200.00 new ones from any dealer sites. Mine was $185.00 plus shipping.

Tried yesterday to install it. Taking loose the existing visor was easy. Getting the glued down electrical connector really started tearing up my finger tips. No amount of gentle tugging even budged it loose. Didn't want to tug/pull too hard as I didn't want to pull out any wires.

Put up existing visor as we had medical appointments today. Thought about this for awhile. I think I will try a curved needle nose pliers next chance I get to work on this.

No 10/20 minute project, but I will get this done.

Received my Homelink visor for my 2017 Exploer XLT which I purchased on EBay. Sorry, didn't find any $100.00 ones nor did I find any $200.00 new ones from any dealer sites. Mine was $185.00 plus shipping.

Tried yesterday to install it. Taking loose the existing visor was easy. Getting the glued down electrical connector really started tearing up my finger tips. No amount of gentle tugging even budged it loose. Didn't want to tug/pull too hard as I didn't want to pull out any wires.

Put up existing visor as we had medical appointments today. Thought about this for awhile. I think I will try a curved needle nose pliers next chance I get to work on this.

No 10/20 minute project, but I will get this done.

I got it done, but not in any way I've seen decribed. Finally bit the bullet & cut the wires, connected replacement visor, tested before installing the 3 torx screws.

Programming was another thing entirely. I had not noticed prior to purchase that there are 2 different systems out there & I hadn't seen the other thread here until now either. Prior to my 17 XLT I had a 15 Limited. I had no problem programing that holding up the remote next to visor, 1, 2, 3, done. Not this time though. Gave up, researched more today. Discovered my visor is a Lear Car2U System which programs completely different than the Homelink. Once I realized that, 1, 2, 3, 4 done.

Just be aware, when buying on Ebay, exactly what you may be getting.

:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2017 sun visor change out

anyone familiar with replacing sunvisor how to get to the harness clip to disconnect. I have cover off but the opening is not very big to reach it.. I found directions for an escape where you take off door seal. Is it done same way?

Back