Air Bag Light suddenly came on?!?!? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Light suddenly came on?!?!?

Nothing happened. Warning light still comes on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It still flashes code 19.

I went to a salvage yard and found Restraints Control Module XL2A-14B321-EB in a 2000 Explorer with no apparent front or side crash damage. It cost about $42.00 with a $7.00 core charge. I kept the old one because I wasn't sure if the replacement would be better or worse. So I guess the old one is worth something but what happens to it? Is it reprogrammed and reused or is it turned into scrap metal?

I plugged in the replacement RCM. Code 19 went away. Code 21 started. I did not have the replacement mounted. It was only plugged in to see what would happen. I took out the old RCM and properly mounted the replacement. Code 21 went away. It now flashes code 36. I will check the connectors and wiring under the seats when I get a chance.

UPDATE: I returned my old RCM and got back $7.47.

Success!

My Explorer did not originally have any side airbags. I had to replace the driver seat a few years ago and the only one I could find had a side airbag in it. Since the warning light did not change (code 19), I did not think about whether or not the side airbag was working. When I replaced the RCM and the warning light flashed code 36, I checked the wiring of the SRS system. Since there were originally no side airbags, there are also no side crash sensors. The side crash sensor wiring just plugs into a plastic cap.

I unplugged the wiring from my driver seat and plugged it into a dead end yellow connector taken from a seat that does not have a side airbag. After four years, my airbag warning light has finally stopped flashing. The side airbag is not and never was functional but I'll try to solve that problem another day.

UPDATE: The warning light started flashing code 36 again. I unplugged the yellow connector and I noticed the holes that the pins go into are way too big. I bent the pins maybe one or two millimeters so they would make contact with the metal inside the holes. The connector snapped together noticeably tight from the pressure of the bent pins. The warning light has not come back on since.

I gave up on trying to find a side crash sensor to get the side airbag working. The upright part of the seat didn't have any fabric on it anyway and the fabric on the seat bottom was in poor condition. I switched the upright part of the seat back to the original one with no side airbag and I covered the seat bottom with a replacement from a salvage yard. I had to soak it in boiling hot water and scrub it first. It looks and feels almost new.

02 Ranger Air Bag Light Morse Code

Turn on the ignition and watch the airbag light immediately afterward. It will flash out a pattern that will give you a 2-digit code like 1-9-1-9- or 2-7-2-7- or something like that. The flash pattern repeats maybe 5 times before going solid. Count the flashes to get the code, then post it here.

I was driving down the road today and my airbag light started blinking as I was driving. I noticed that it was blinking in a pattern but couldn't get it memorized or written down before it stopped blinking and just remained on.

Once I got to my office I looked up this forum to see if anyone knew what it was. When turned my truck on it didn't come back on. (yet).

02 Ford Ranger 4x4

air bag light

2003 ranger 2.3L
my airbag light comes on flashes 3x then 2x. what does this mean? thanks

Hey every one hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, I have a 1998 mazda b4000 with an air bag and ABS light that just came on a few days ago. Air bag flashes a 2-5 code, all help? thanks RB.

Hey every one hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, I have a 1998 mazda b4000 with an air bag and ABS light that just came on a few days ago. Air bag flashes a 2-5 code, all help? thanks RB.
Lamp Flash Code 2-5 is for a problem in the Passenger Airbag Deactivation switch. Probably caused by the monitoring circuit detecting incorrect resistance.

The fix would normally be a replacement PAD switch assembly. If you're handy with electronics, take a look at this:

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/63758-airbag-code-25-pad-switch-repaired.html

another code 4-6 resolved

Just got an 03 ranger edge 4x2 super cab. Restraint warning light came on the very next day. Read this thread, unplugged the connector and cleaned it...problem solved!

Code 4 2

I have an 05 Ford Explorer. The airbag light stays on. When I first start the vehicle, it flashes 4 times, pauses, then flashes 2 more times. It does this about 3 or 4 times, then stays on continually. What does this mean?
Also, I cant get the gps to work anymore, and I cant see anything on the radio, the radio works, but the screen is black, what could cause that?

I d google the code 4-2 for your year of explorer and see what comes up. Radio probably just needs replaced.

99 Ford Explorer code 36

Hi guys , I bought a 99 explorer about a month ago , I kept hearing a noise like the door chime , I look it up and found out that it was the airbag light blown , so I replace it and now I get code 36 , I took the plug under seat spray it with WD-40clean it as best I could but the light still on with code 36 , the owner replace the front seat with leather so I don't know if it needs a resistor ? any help will be appreciated :)

Thank you

Hi everyone. I have a 2012 Ford Explorer. The air bag indicator light came on last night and hasn't gone off since and it doesn't flash when I turn the car on. It lights up with all other indicator lights when I turn the ignition, goes off for approx. 4-5 seconds and then comes back on and stays on continuously. Any idea what could be causing this??

Any suggestion for the 1-9 code? I unplugged the yellow connecter under the drivers side seat and it looked completely clean nor do I know how to clean it as it looks completely clean anyways. I also do not have a fuse puller so I could not check the 2 and 26 fuses. Do I need to buy one to check the fuses or is there something else that needs to be checked? Thanks

Back