Airbag light | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alas, I am about at wits end. The damn LFC 37 is now an everyday issue.

I am open to any suggestions or thoughts.

Thanks in advance ....

H mm, I have had a code 36 flashing since I rebuilt my 99. I have a 2000 model airbag module, so I assumed that it is expecting side airbags which I don't have.

Is it possible that the 99 module is no different, and the connector under each front seat tricks the module into accepting the input? I have used resistors of 2.2 ohms trying to do that manually. I didn't know that there was a resistor inside of those seat connectors. I'll go flip my 99 seats to see those more closely. Regards,

H mm, I have had a code 36 flashing since I rebuilt my 99. I have a 2000 model airbag module, so I assumed that it is expecting side airbags which I don't have.

Is it possible that the 99 module is no different, and the connector under each front seat tricks the module into accepting the input? I have used resistors of 2.2 ohms trying to do that manually. I didn't know that there was a resistor inside of those seat connectors. I'll go flip my 99 seats to see those more closely. Regards,

You must replace your module with the same one. Your original was one for no seat air bags and if the new one is the same, it will say on it whether or not it is for a system that has seat air bags

...sounds like a joke...the punchline....a nagging wife...:D

Well the idea that a resistor mounted under a seat which has no airbag, that suggests to me that the modules would be the same.

The side air bags are in the front seats.

The side air bags are in the front seats.

This man knows his hip hop
thumbsup.gif

Side airbags weren't an option until 2000, but the same modules and harnesses were used in '99. There is indeed a resister under each seat to fool the truck into thinking it has them. On my '99, the passenger side resistor went bad, and I got a code 42. $.79 at Radio Shack made it all better.

Andy, what resistance value did you use? I was told that it needed 2.1 ohms, so I have two 2.2 ohm resistors(even .2 increments).

Thanks, I figured that if this was true about the modules being the same with or without side bags, that my resistors could be wrong.

I got that 2.1 ohm figure from a Ford tech who has been the Foreman, they used to check the front airbags with the resistors. The side airbags are obviously different. I have the seats still, so I'll yank out those connector ends and plug them in to test. Thanks guys,

Does anyone know what a flashing 3 7 code means?

Thanks.....

Yes. Code 37 is "Driver-Side air bag resistance is high", you do not have side airbag (only the one in front on the steering column is what you got on the driver side) and thus the yellow plug is a resistor that substitues for that. If for some reason it is not making good contact, you well get that error. unplugging and cleaning the connector helps stopping that code. I have been doing a lot of readings on the subject.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Code 37 is "Driver-Side air bag resistance is high", you do not have side airbag (only the one in front on the steering column is what you got on the driver side) and thus the yellow plug is a resistor that substitues for that. If for some reason it is not making good contact, you well get that error. unplugging and cleaning the connector helps stopping that code. I have been doing a lot of readings on the subject.

Thanks for the post, however, it is a few years late; we identified the 3 7 code back in 2004( posted earlier in this thread ).

Unplugging and reattaching the yellow cap does nothing to resolve the 3 7 code for me now. I have even replaced the yellow caps several times with new ones and still have the code.

Back