Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to our Stock 2011 - 2016 Explorer subforum where the right folks should see this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You bought a 2013 Explorer two weeks ago? From a dealer or private individual?

If it was from a dealer you stand a chance of getting them to fix it. From a private individual, I'd think not.

Unless you are planning on putting something heavy back there, not a real problem. IT has happened to other people. You can always cover and carpet a lightweight piece of plywood or hardboard and lay it over the area. If you size it correctly, you can store it behind the seats when they are flipped up.

Are you referring to the seat backs or the panel over the spare tire well?

That is one serious load of groceries! If that's all it was, I suspect it was already broken, probably by the previous owner. Now you have to decide who to go after.

hi. i got a 2013 explorer sport two weeks ago and ran into a problem. i folded the third row seats flat and put my groceries on it. i noticed that the fiber board material under the right third row seat broke. i notice a serious give on it when i was loading my stuff but never thought it will snap.i went to my dealership and was quoted a couple of hundred bucks to replace the whole panel. i want to know if there are any options out there, i thought about making it a DIY project but i don't know how to proceed to repair and reinforce the back panel. thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's "Search" program I found this thread and merged yours with it. Loading groceries should not crack the seat back. As a member has suggested, it was likely already cracked. I'm not aware of any member doing a DIY repair off hand. Check through this thread to see what others have done.
Good luck.

Peter

Mine is not really cracked, but the front and rear section are still attached, but the center section, where the fold happens, has separated from the mechanism. I can lift it up into a sorta tent shape and I need to guide it into moving correctly when manipulating the seats.

How do these parts disassemble so I can get a replacement?

I've joined the "club" of a cracked 3rd row seat back. It happened (not surprisingly it seems) with what I would consider very normal use. My sister who is all of maybe 100 lbs was crawling in the back to fetch something when it cracked.

cracked cargo area backing

Hi pythionoth,

I checked out your case and see that your CSM tried to contact you on the 3rd; I'll reach out to her and have her contact you again. Be sure to PM me if you ever have trouble contacting someone so I can help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Mine just cracked this afternoon. I am still under original warranty, 19,500 miles, 2013 Explorer. I live in the DFW area in TX and I want to go to Grapevine Ford to get it replaced under warranty. Can you help?

Mine just cracked this afternoon. I am still under original warranty, 19,500 miles, 2013 Explorer. I live in the DFW area in TX and I want to go to Grapevine Ford to get it replaced under warranty. Can you help?

Since it's still under warranty you should go to the dealer and give them an opportunity to fix it and make it right. If you don't get the help you need you can send a PM to FordService on this board (to Tricia, Crystal is no longer here).

Mine has cracked as well, hadn't seen this thread before. Now being a CPO not sure on coverage, but extended coverage maybe? I might just reinforce it myself and call it good.

Mine just cracked this afternoon. I am still under original warranty, 19,500 miles, 2013 Explorer...
Welcome to the community, snowbyangel! :D

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox, and I’ll be here if you have any questions!

Since it's still under warranty you should go to the dealer and give them an opportunity to fix it and make it right...
patsy1099,

Thanks for the mention, and have a great day! :thumbsup:

Mine has cracked as well, hadn't seen this thread before...

Hello cwescapexlt4x4,

I recommend taking your ride to the dealer to get diagnosed. You can make an appointment here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

Welcome to the community, snowbyangel! :D

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox, and I’ll be here if you have any questions!

patsy1099,

Thanks for the mention, and have a great day! :thumbsup:

Hello cwescapexlt4x4,

I recommend taking your ride to the dealer to get diagnosed. You can make an appointment here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

It is at the dealer now. 2nd time my Bluetooth stopped working, so they're looking at that and the crack. I dropped it off on Wednesday afternoon. Grapevine Ford, Grapevine TX. They're usually awesome. I deal with the assistant service manager, Robbie. I PM'd you back. Thanks so much!

I hope that the dealer will be able to do something for you.
Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so that it always shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.:)

Peter

It is at the dealer now. 2nd time my Bluetooth stopped working, so they're looking at that and the crack. I dropped it off on Wednesday afternoon...
Thanks for the update, snowbyangel.

I replied. Please check your inbox when you get a chance.

I’ll be here if you need me, and have a great weekend! :)

Tricia

Wish I knew the seat panel part number!

Mine just cracked this morning, I had my Lab in the back who is very calm and just sleeps in the pack! I'm sure my dealer won't fix it! Does anyone know where I can buy the seat panel ?

Mine just cracked this morning, I had my Lab in the back who is very calm and just sleeps in the pack! I'm sure my dealer won't fix it! Does anyone know where I can buy the seat panel ?
Since it forms part of the seat itself, I don't know if the back board would have a separate part number. I checked "seats" on fordparts.com and saw that there were 98 pages for that search. I do know that Ford apparently introduced a stronger backing in subsequent years. I think your dealer would be the place to start.

Peter

Carpeted back panel of 3rd row seat broke (2013)

One piece of the panel split behind the carpet. I know there has been issues with other owners.

How easy is it to replace? I should still be under warranty.

If you don't know what I'm talking about ill post a pic.

Thanks

Third Row Repair

Just got mine fixed at the dealer. My '13 Sport is at 60k miles so it cost $298 to repair (parts and labour).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got mine fixed at the dealer. My '13 Sport is at 60k miles so it cost $298 to repair (parts and labour).

Yikes. Mine got replaced under warranty.

Back