Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by Charlie, April 7, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

1. Yes, always.

397 vote(s)
      81.2%
    2. No, never

28 vote(s)
      5.7%
    3. Depends (please post what it depends on)

64 vote(s)
      13.1%
    1. nitro71

nitro71 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Spokane WA
      Pretty much if you don't wear a seat belt and you die in a wreck you just won a Darwin award!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. offroadjosh

offroadjosh Member

City, State:
      Kila Montana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4wd
      Like i said before only in the water tender cause your dead in that thing if you wreck at 70mph.. or even 45mph.. the engines are a different story i ALWAYS where my seat belt in them,

that bein said...
      but specially since the speed limit on the hwy out here is 70mph and everyone does 80ish seatbelts are needed. i have seen people wreck off the main roads(all gravel roads) and be dead wrecking at 30mph with no seatbelt(that a seatbelt wearing persdon could have and also have survived). so like i said only time i wont wear one is in the water tender cause i rather have a slight chance of getting flung free of the truck than be squished(i highly doubt that the 3500gal of water and the huge tank is gunna stay where its at in a wreck at 70mph)..... and hahah i dont want to deal with our fire chief afterwards for wrecking his apparatus :D I could really careless about people over 18 that choose not to wear one(there an adult its there choice) but COME ON!!!!!!!! who the hell lets there 5 and 6yr old kids hop around the car with no seatbelt on while going 70-80mph on a 2 lane hwy!! I see this daily or parents that let there baby ride on there lap:thumbdwn:

Josh

4. Benji-Man

Benji-Man is struggling with Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Anger Management
      2007 Audi A3
      Without a doubt, always. It's the only reason i'm alive today.

6/29/86

7 dead/ 2 survivors

6 miles south of Rolla Missouri on Hwy 63, 5 teens in a 1978 TransAm traveling at a very high rate of speed passing a line of cars in a no passing zone, my stepfather driving 1973 Ford Galaxie 500 tried to avoid but both drivers swerved the same direction. Collision was head-on.

Killed all five teens, my mother and my stepfather. My sister and I were in the back seat of the Galaxie wearing our seat belts, Mom always demanded it, Mom had hers on but the impact was so violent the front seatbelt failed on the passenger side, partially ejecting her from the vehicle.

Please don't think I'm looking for sympathy, I'm typing for education and safety. Everyone needs to buckle up, because you never now what's coming around the bend, everything happens for a reason. Please talk to your teens about the dangers of fast cars and caution. You never know when it'll be to late.

Just as much as I wish my mother was still here, I know there are five other moms out there that are wising their sons were still with them.:(

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Well said, God Bless you!

6. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Active Member

City, State:
      Toms River, NJ
      2001 XLT
      Always in the front seat of any vehicle, especially when I'm driving because I just got my license and it is illegal in New Jersey and the driver is responsible for all passengers. I do not want to lose my license already.

I don't however always wear it in the back seat. I try to, but sometimes I forget or don't care. The driver has to driving a little recklessly for me to change my mind. I'm currently trying to break that habit, but it's hard when all you want to do is be in the driver's seat.

-Marc

7. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
      99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
      it depends, i do alot of ice road driving in the winter, and trucks fall through all the time,, so, if i am out on the ice,, no,, never ,
      but on the highway on long trips, i always do, around my small town,, hmmm maybe,

8. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      '97 XLT
      Ice road truckers!

9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes, now Hugh, get over in the passenger seat and watch the pro show you how to do the Dalton.

10. Millertime1987

Millertime1987 Active Member

City, State:
      St.Paul, Minnesota
      '99 XLT
      Up till this month it wasn't law but now it is. I always wore mine anyway but now its a must. Now they jsut need to make sure people have their headlights on in bad weather.

11. wagoner2

wagoner2 Active Member

City, State:
      Springboro, Ohio
      04 EB V8 4WD
      Always wear my seat belt win driving on the streets, 50/50 off road...

12. thumper477

thumper477 New Member

City, State:
      Telford,Tn
      1997 5.0 AWD XLT
      +1

13. fordnut_1993

fordnut_1993 New Member

City, State:
      Independence Iowa
      2000 XLT 4 door 4X4
      I've rolled my explorer tryin to get my girlfriend home before her parents got home doing 45 and my mom and sis rolled one doin 75. If it wasn't for the seatbelts there would be 4 less people in my area without a doubt

14. Equnoxe

Equnoxe Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      97' Exploder EB Edition
      always, and its also the law, must have 1 working seat belt per 1 passenger.

15. DanaM

DanaM Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus
      2001 Sport 4WD
      Here in Ohio it is the law. I always buckle up. Funny about my mother though, who is 70. When I take here somepalce, it is always a hassle to get her to do the seatbelt. I guess when she was growing up, it was not a big deal.

16. Equnoxe

Equnoxe Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      97' Exploder EB Edition
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByF3Obv-z_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByF3Obv-z_Y

this is what happens when you don't wear a seat belt.
      if you don't wear it your a idiot, you kill yourself and others.

I can get tones more pictures of people who get ejected from their cars. my father is a firefighter so hes got an endless supply of REAL accidents were they have to scrap retards off the pavement.

also, if getting thrown around inside a box doesn't kill you first, the airbag will.

17. turboranger91

turboranger91 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas city
      94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
      i ALWAYS wear my seat belt. even if i'm just moving a car around the driveway. it's something that my mother instilled in me when i was growing up, and it's always just been second nature to just do it. it takes less than 2 seconds and could save my life.

missouri law is that you must, regardless of where you're sitting, wear your seat belt.

18. jtmx101

jtmx101 Active Member

City, State:
      Shreveport, LA
      00 XLS 4X4
      I used to never wear my seat belt, untill I worked my first wreck as a firefighter. Now I wear it all the time on the roads. offroadjosh, im with you, if I wrecked one of my depts new trucks id rather be killed in the wreck, the chief would probbly beat my ass with a shovel, lol

19. backfrmcolorado

backfrmcolorado Active Member

City, State:
      Commerce Twp, MI
      '94 Eddie B explodwhore
      click it or ticket. i always wear mine. i think id rather come out with bruses in an accident rather than play a crash test dummy. ive seen bad wrecks in the colorado moutains. i wont drive the moutain road from durango, colorado to montrose, colorado (million dollar highway US ROUTE 550) if anyone has been thru it they know what i mean seatbelts, seatbelt, seatbelt, and the o shit bar. all you can do i pray. kinda a sad story... my girlfriends father had a accident up there in red moutain pass and a setbelt saved his life when his car went off the moutain. but unfortunatly it was winter and the rescue squad couldnt get to him fast enuf. it was said the seatbelt did save his life keeping him in the car but to much time went by in the rescue. after hearing that i always wear mine... you should to. it takes 2.5 seconds to put it on but a lifetime without your loved ones if you dont!

Last edited: February 25, 2010
    20. Super_Swamper_98

Super_Swamper_98 Active Member

City, State:
      Bossier City Louisanina
      1998 Explorer Sport 2WD
      Its like a reflex as soon as I get in.

21. 1997_4.0XLT

1997_4.0XLT New Member

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      '97 XLT
      I don't see any reason not to wear one. Especially since you can get a ticket for not wear one. Why risk getting a $100 ticket when it takes 1/2 a second to put it on and keeps you safe?

22. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      Yeah I've seen too many results of not wearing seatbelts...and the state law requires it. $45 (fee for not wearing seatbelt)in my pocket is better than the state's

23. muzzymaniac

muzzymaniac Active Member

City, State:
      Kent, NY
      04 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      Always. End of story!

24. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Every time, all the time. Even just moving the car out of the driveway. The seatbelt gets clicked before I shift into gear.

25. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      This kind of has to do with this seat belt thread...A story to get you people not wearing seatbelts to wear seatbelts (and not pass on the left in no pass zone). Even though the seatsbelts probably wouldn't have done anything...

I wanted to post this story up....This happened during the summer up near monte cristo. No one was wearing seat belts.
      This is from the Ogden Standard Examiner: 5 Young People Killed In Head-On Collision
      [​IMG]

Weber County Sheriff's Capt. Klint Anderson said a Honda and Volkswagen were driving west on the two-lane highway. The two vehicles were passing each other while driving down Ogden Canyon.

"They knew each other," Anderson said. "It was a large group of family and friends, two carloads of young people on their way to come home and shower and then head back" to a camping site.

All those who died were riding in the Honda.

The Honda tried to pass the other vehicle near Monte Cristo in a no-passing area, and was hit head-on by a Ford F-350 pick-up truck, which ended up on top of the car, officials said.

"They were not wearing seatbelts, but the accident was so bad, the seatbelts probably would not have helped," Anderson said.

The truck was driven by Richard Krig, 22, and passengers included his wife, Alexandra Krig, 20, and an infant, all from the Ogden area, said Lt. Matt Bell of the Weber County Sheriff's Office.

Richard Krig suffered a shoulder injury. He and his wife were wearing seatbelts and the infant was in a car seat. None of them was seriously injured, officials said.

Ashley Bishop knew Vanessa Reyes as a classmate at Ben Lomond High School and, until recently, as a neighbor in the Bramblewood Apartments.

Bishop described Reyes as very outgoing and very happy. Bishop heard about the accident from a neighbor and said she had to repeat Reyes' name several times before she could comprehend the tragedy.

The crash occurred in front of the Ogden Eagles Trailer Park, about 100 S. 1000 East in Huntsville.

The trailer park is occupied almost year-round by local members of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Residents said the crash was so loud and violent they could easily hear it from their camp sites.

"Everyone in the whole place heard it," said a man at the park who declined to give his name. "There are a lot of wrecks up here but I've never heard anything like this one. Usually before a wreck you'll hear tires screeching, but with this one, you just heard the most unbelievable crashing sound. It was a damn shame."

Roy resident Nancy Driscoll stays at the park throughout the warmer months. She sees auto accidents near the park two or three times a year, but said she had never seen or heard one like Saturday's wreck.

"I've never heard any like that in my life," she said. "It was horrifying. It just sounded like some kind of big explosion."

Driscoll said she and other park residents ran up to the road after hearing the accident.

"Right after you heard the wreck, you could hear a car full of kids just screaming, I mean screaming," she said. "Those poor kids were just sick. I helped one of the girls come down here and use the bathroom after it happened, but I didn't get her name or anything. It was just so chaotic."

Shortly after the road re-opened about 1 p.m., a memorial, with a makeshift cross and flowers, was set up at the crash site.

The number of fatalities and sheer destruction in Saturday's crash made it one of the worst in recent memory, said Lt. Philip Howell of the Weber County Sheriff's Office.

"It was a pretty horrific accident," he said.

The crash was similar to another accident in the Ogden Canyon on May 27 that claimed the life of 16-year-old Mayra Serrano and injured three others, said Howell. That crash happened when an Acura and Honda were racing westbound through the canyon.

"It was almost identical," said Howell of the two crashes. "One vehicle trying to pass another."

The accidents were also similar in that they involved young drivers and occurred in areas where passing is prohibited.

There are some horrific stories going along with this that aren't told in the article.
      Now if not for seat belts these people in the F-350 would have probably been ejected from the truck and/or suffered serious injuries.

Last edited: September 12, 2010
    26. '00Mountaineer

'00Mountaineer New Member

City, State:
      CT
      2000 Mountaineer
      yup always, it doesn't feel right to me if I'm not buckled in. It feels like I am sliding around a lot! Especially with leather with a good cleaning lol.