Doesn't Crank When Hot

MMP

Reaction score
City, State
Jeddah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008, Explorer XLT V6
Hello,

I am from Saudi Arabia, my ford explorer 2008 XLT V6 has a problem since 1 Year, it doesn't start when the engine is hot after a ride of around 5 kilometers & above. I have to keep the hood open for 30 minutes for it to start back again. I have shown it to several mechanics but so far no one is able to diagnose the exact problem.

At the time of problem, there is no current/signal from PCM to the fuse box. Starter itself is fine since running a wire from battery to starter makes it work every time.

Looking forward for some useful answers, Thanks.

MMP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I am from Saudi Arabia, my ford explorer 2008 XLT V6 has a problem since 1 Year, it doesn't start when the engine is hot after a ride of around 5 kilometers & above. I have to keep the hood open for 30 minutes for it to start back again. I have shown it to several mechanics but so far no one is able to diagnose the exact problem.

At the time of problem, there is no current/signal from PCM to the fuse box. Starter itself is fine since running a wire from battery to starter makes it work every time.

Looking forward for some useful answers, Thanks.

MMP
crank shaft sensor

crank shaft sensor

Thanks for replying, it should throw any relevant codes?

I forgot to mention earlier, it is showing "anti theft immobilizer" code, I even got a new programmed key but that didn't resolve my problem.

Cold starts are fine.

Regards,

Thanks for replying, it should throw any relevant codes?

I forgot to mention earlier, it is showing "anti theft immobilizer" code, I even got a new programmed key but that didn't resolve my problem.

Cold starts are fine.

Regards,
I have the crank shaft sensor go bad on 2 Buicks and one Ford and none showed any codes, all would start cold but not when hot , only start after cool down. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but that is something to check.

My 1997 4l sohc had the crankshaft position sensor go out twice. You are lucky it starts at all. There most likely won’t be a code with it.

It may throw one with the vehicle off when it won’t start. It may say the sensor isn’t responding or something like that.

I have the crank shaft sensor go bad on 2 Buicks and one Ford and none showed any codes, all would start cold but not when hot , only start after cool down. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but that is something to check.
That's exactly my problem, won't even crank when hot and cranks/starts fine when cold.
What other symptoms you had with faulty crank shaft sensor, was there any drive-ability problem.

Also if anyone can please describe the correlation between faulty crankshaft sensor and hot start problem, my electrician told me there is no signal from ECM to starter relay when it is hot.

Thanks in Advance.

That's exactly my problem, won't even crank when hot and cranks/starts fine when cold.
What other symptoms you had with faulty crank shaft sensor, was there any drive-ability problem.

Also if anyone can please describe the correlation between faulty crankshaft sensor and hot start problem, my electrician told me there is no signal from ECM to starter relay when it is hot.

Thanks in Advance.
That was the only symptom. It ran well once it started. That sensor is only used during startup

That was the only symptom. It ran well once it started. That sensor is only used during startup
I doubt that it is only used during startup, could some one please explain how a faulty crank shaft position sensor is responsible for hot start problem.

Back