Frustrated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ramrod88

Reaction score
City, State
Atchison, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
2008 Ford Explorer 4.0, wouldn't start, couldn't hear the fuel pump so I changed that. Started right up, I shut it off put my tools away. Started out back up went to my Uncle's. Started about an hour. Started right up when I left his house after an hour. Next morning, wouldn't start. Replaced fuel filter. Still wouldn't start. Checked for spark, everything seems fine. Didn't check fuel pressure because there 2008 doesn't have a Schrader valve. Sprayed some starter fluid in the intake manifold. Started right up. So I just replaced the Fuel rail pressure sensor and it still won't start. All my research says if you spray starter fluid in the intake and it starts it has to be a fuel problem. I'm no mechanic and I'm running out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd troubleshoot as follows:
(a) put key in ignition and turn to ON but not to START. Listen for fuel pump. Do that several times. It may be that your key-lock is going bad or "intermittent".
(b0 Do you have an ELM327 dongle and system reader app for your phone? You might want to try one and see what fuel rail pressure reads thru the OBD-II port.

I'd troubleshoot as follows:
(a) put key in ignition and turn to ON but not to START. Listen for fuel pump. Do that several times. It may be that your key-lock is going bad or "intermittent".
(b0 Do you have an ELM327 dongle and system reader app for your phone? You might want to try one and see what fuel rail pressure reads thru the OBD-II port.

I have done (a) several times. I can hear the pump whirl right up. A buddies Uncle is a mechanic and is suppose to com by sometime soon. He has all the code readers and all that to check everything.

i've had low cost aftermarket pumps fail in short order as you describe.

which brand pump did you buy?

I bought an Autobest. It was just a little over $100. I understand you get what you pay for, but would it really fail that fast?(less than a day) Also,if it has failed, would I continue to hear it whirl up when I turn the key on?

Did you buy just the pump assembly? Is it possible your fuel line was split, or possibly came off?

Did you buy just the pump assembly? Is it possible your fuel line was split, or possibly came off?

I did buy just the pump assembly. I don't believe the fuel line is split or disconnected. I haven't seen any leaks. Wouldn't fuel shoot out of the line somewhere if it was split or disconnected? I changed the filter after I changed the pump. The line had pressure in it because I didn't pull the relay and got gasoline all over myself. hahaha

Since you hear the fuel pump prime, let's rule out the possibility of a bad relay at the moment. Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key, and experience a no start condition? Place the key in the ignition cylinder, then turn it to the accessory (not the crank) position. Place a ratchet or a breaker bar onto the crankshaft, then turn it a few degrees. You should hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds every time you turn it. This is how you could check the CPS to see if it's sending a signal to the PCM. You won't have the fuel pump working while it's cranking if this part is not functioning properly. The pump will only prime when you turn the key then stop if this part is defective.

Back