Four wheel drive making "clunking" noise in 4x4 high!@#@$@$#@$#@PLEASE READ!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Four wheel drive making "clunking" noise in 4x4 high!@#@$@$#@$#@PLEASE READ!!!!

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Alrgiht, when I was wheeling today, I noticed in 4x4 high, when the steering wheel is turned completely to one side, I hear a "clunk coming from somewhere. I dont really know what it is, but I know it sounds like it is coming from the front wheels. If you know what this is please help. I thought it might have been the wheels scraping the wheel wells. Im not sure though, but my tires are pretty big, and it might be them. Oh yeah, and it doesnt happen when I am in 4x4 auto. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is happening when you are moving it could be just the outside wheel trying to catch up to the inside. Mine makes noises from time to time especially at full wheel lock. That's normal.

I think what you are describing is normal. The sharper you turn, the more difference in wheel speed from front to rear.

This is especially noticeable in 4WD Low; I try not to turn sharp when in 4wd and dry conditions.

In 4wd auto, the transfer case clutch allows the front and rear wheels to turn at different rates by cutting torque sent to front. When you are in 4wd high (and especially 4wd low) you are telling the system you want more torque sent to front all of the time.

Yeah, it doesnt happen in wet condition, only on dry things like packed dirt and hard sand

That's normal. The difference in the rotational speeds of the wheels that is causing the axle to bind up, and the klunk is it releasing. The harder the ground, the worse it will get. That's why 4wd is not recommended on paved surfaces or hard ground.

In the snow with 4x4, I got a huge bang when braking really hard. In normal driving, there is no problem. Any ideas.

Originally posted by hamexplorer
In the snow with 4x4, I got a huge bang when braking really hard. In normal driving, there is no problem. Any ideas.

Are you turning while braking? Or just traveling straight?

Your 94 doesn't have a transfer case clutch like the 97 we were discussing before. When you are in 4wd, your front and rear axles are locked together, and you may get driveline windup whenever the fronts are moving faster(or slower) than the rears. If you are braking and one of the axles has better traction, it could cause driveline windup.

In snow when turning and braking very hard. Otherwise there is no problem. But it was a real loud bang like a spring had popped.

I think that you are hearing the driveline windup and then let go. It is caused because the wheels must turn different speeds when you are turning. The only way to release the windup is by one of the tires slipping (or something breaks in the driveline).

You may have had better traction than you thought when you were driving in the snow.;)

clunking in 4 high

My 93 clunks when in 4 high well it used to and now one of the front hubs won't lock in forward but when I go there is no more clunking. Both hubs lock in reverse and work fine. In forward High or Low you can here the front right hub slip at least I think it is the hub got any ideas? By the way it happen's while goin straight no turns. I'm thinkin about getting manual hubs because I have the stock autos any sugestions on what brand I should get?:exp:

Back