Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches

Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital.

There are several options, many brands and styles.

Round Tube?

Square?

Rectangular?

Full Size Spare or Not?

I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating.

The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site.

I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like that reinforced hitch design, I never have liked how the hitches just attach at the end of the frame- seems to defeat the purpose of the frame hitch.

From what I could tell, I think that hitch would interfere with my 285 spare- but I like the design, I may add something similar to that on mine.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ditto, that's what I was thinking.

With the stock spare under the back of mine, there is still about 1 1/2" to 2" of space all the way around it, so you would probably be OK.

With the stock spare under the back of mine, there is still about 1 1/2" to 2" of space all the way around it, so you would probably be OK.

Actually that's correct. The width between the reinforcement allow up to a 32 (unfortunately the spare wheel tub won't). Up to a 31" spare fits perfect

The Draw Tite you pictured looks just like mine. It's a Class IV/V rated at 7500 lbs. I have a 31X10.5 BFG All Terain spare mounted on the factory rim. It fits tight but goes all the way up with a little wiggeling. I plan on adding a couple extra frame mounts to my hitch on my quest to pull my new trailer with the Horse.

Bought a square hidden hitch class III from that site posted. $169 shipped with a wire harness.

Please double check the part numbers if you have the OEM 16" wheel and spare. *Some* hitches will not work with the factory 16" spare on a 2nd-gen Sport. (Mine is one of them). Draw-Tite's application guide makes not of this anomoly.

-Joe

I already know I'm going top have to cut something to fit my 31" spare. Won't know what till I get it installed. I also have a 97 rear bumper on my 94 & that has this flap under the bumper I'll have to cut as well.

Please double check the part numbers if you have the OEM 16" wheel and spare. *Some* hitches will not work with the factory 16" spare on a 2nd-gen Sport. (Mine is one of them). Draw-Tite's application guide makes not of this anomoly.

-Joe

The hidden type I have didn't want to take a 30" spare when I changed to 18's. The 275/60/17 spare wouldn't quite fit. I think I mentioned earlier that I cut about 1/4" away from the backside of my hitch, the square pipe. Most hitches can be trimmed on the backside without compromising strength.

Well I got the hidden hitch, part #87524 on my 94. Installed it in 15 minutes. Only had to drill 2 holes. Didn't touch my 31" spare, doesn't interfere at all. Didn't cut anything either. I was surprised it went on so easily.

However it isn't "hidden" I thought it was supposed to be?
Pic:
162100_0395-med.JPG

glad to know that u guys like the product that i make.

sorry to bump an old thread, but does a 1st frame hitch fit on a 2nd gen?

sorry to bump an old thread, but does a 1st frame hitch fit on a 2nd gen?

Not as far as I know.

Darnit-my Draw tite will not fit with my 31" spare.

Which DrawTite do you have? There used to be two, and one of them would not work with a 16" spare. Of course, it's quite possible that even the correct hitch for the 16" spare wouldn't leave enough room for a 31" tire too... It's a squeeze between the front of the hitch and the diff...

Joe, it is the round tube type-
I bought it off craigslist so I have no instructions. I wonder If I should try to install it without the spare and then hang the spare???

Seriously-the interference is so great I don't see how a 29" tire would fit-

hmmm.

Jon, you may have the same hitch as mine, and I had my 275/60/17 mounted. I trimmed another 1/8" at the back of the hitch before I painted it. From what I hear you can bend the front bracket forward some to make more room. I'd try it, and trim it as I did first.

what hitches will work with warrior shackles? I had an old big round tube one on my old truck but it interfered with the shackles.

How hard was it to bolt on a class III Hitch? Where is the best place to buy one where the stock tire will fit underneath?

I was looking online, and saw that JC Whitney has a Curt class III hitch for $130 with no shipping over $75. This is the round tube hitch.

My questions are:

1. Will this fit my 16" spare?
2. Is this a good hitch?
3. Is this a good place to buy from?

Thanks. As you can see, I'm very new to this. I'll be towing a pop up trailer that maxes out at 2000 pounds. Dh installed a Uhaul hitch on his 1995 Chrysler LHS, so I'm expecting this to be much easier.

Jean

Fyi- the round tube hitches will "flex" more under a load than square or rectangle tube hitches, but anything should be fine with 2k max hitch.

The curt should work with your 16" spare.

I prefer etrailer.com for hitches and such, but best price is best price. Etrailer has a very helpful website with lots of info.

Back