Greetings from Texas

Kuya

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Good evening all,
I currently own a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. I came across this forum while trying to find a fix to a starter problem. I've read a lot of threads still not quite finding what I needed...
My wife decided to drive the truck low on gas and managed to park it at our home. We had a cold front come in that night and the next morning tried to start up the truck. Lights and regular sounds came on normally till I tried to turn over the engine, the sound of multiple clicks. Tried a few times to turn it over to no avail. Added 2 gallons of gas, still nothing. Decided maybe to jump the truck, still nothing. Thinking it's the starter or starter relay. I have a video/audio of the sound it makes if it helps narrow the search to the problem.
I don't know if it's relevant but when we lock it from the key fob, the lock sound/honk is more faint than before.
Please let me know if it's a doable fix (no lift) and cost if I take it to the shop.
I look forward to contributing and helping, with limited knowledge, to the forum!

Best,
Kuya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your battery cables for corrosion. They can even get corroded under the plastic sheath. That could cause low voltage to the starter.

Welcome to the Forums!

If your getting clicks, it sounds like a battery problem, not starter. Check your connections at the battery: clean the posts real good and wire brush or chemically clean the battery terminals.

The odds of the solenoid going out are pretty slim. I have never had one go out on me ever.

Good luck, when you do find a fix, please post it for future reference.

My starter relay on the inner fender wall was replaced a few months ago. I had an intermittent no crank condition. I thought that it was the starter so I replaced it, but the problem was still there. I suspected the ignition switch but I heard a click from the relay when I turned the ignition key so I figured out that it had to be the relay. The coil was good but the contacts were starting to fail. The part is only $10, and the old relay was probably the original, so it was time to replace it.

Thank y'all for the prompt responses. I'll take out the battery tonight and take it to autozone around the corner to see if it was a bad battery, then check the cables. I'll keep y'all updated.

Sorry for the late response. I replaced the battery and everything runs great. Thank y'all again!

Walmart Brand - EverStart Plus Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 65. 1-2 year warranty for around $60.

Back