Got nowhere in audio specific, maybe here somebody will have an answer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got nowhere in audio specific, maybe here somebody will have an answer

therangersteve

Reaction score
City, State
Gallitzin, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
I have a JBL headunit in my 97 EB, at least it says JBL on the tape deck. But there is no sub in the vehicle. I have the storage pocket. Has anyone heard of a JBL system without the sub? I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble to pull the sub enclosure out and put the pocket in but leave everything else. could I not have a JBL system? I do have the 6 disc in the arm rest. What does anyone think, is there a way to decode if it had the JBL from the factory?

Here's the radio:
8749796864_2d6cd09d54_b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 more things to see if it is a JBL unit or not. The front speakers should be an all in one contained unit, with a 3 or 4 inch mid bass woofer, and a separate tweeter. You can see if there is, or was a a stock sub amp. It is located on the passenger side rear cargo compartment, you will need to remove the actual cover, it is a little bit of an ordeal the first time , but it is not that bad. If somebody did go to all the trouble to swap all the parts from a JBL system in to you truck, I really don't understand why. An aftermarket unit would sound much better. they could of just replaced the head unit with a JBL one, or they simply got rid of the sub for a cargo pocket.

I just changed one of those out, there is an amp back there...if you have a button on there that says AUTO SET that is the premium audio system from the factory. Audiophile system would have the sub as well.

I just changed one of those out, there is an amp back there...if you have a button on there that says AUTO SET that is the premium audio system from the factory. Audiophile system would have the sub as well.

Where would that button be? I'll try to check it out and see if there's an amp back there or not. Any chance of checking the speakers without pulling the door panels?

In the upper right corner of the head unit I think, but can make sure if you need. Its right on the face.

I was thinking about it, and it is possible the original radio broke or was stolen, so the previous owner just put in the first Explorer radio they could find?

Check the door speakers as Harold said, take a pic and report back.

i could be wrong, but that looks like the cheap-ass base radio to me. if you go to this site http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do enter your VIN number and select additional info, it will tell you everything that your truck was born with.

Steve have you read the reference sticky in audio? I think you will find what you need there. Accordingly to that, if it branded jbl it is an audiophile system. I. Just pulled the premium level out of my rig and replaced it with a didital media unit. It will not play cds, but am-fm, hands free phone, voice dialing, mp3, pandora, bluetooth, android, jump drrives, usb, patches, all good to go. So hit me up if anyone needs inffo.

EDIT: to clarify a bit, the premium level audio also has the AUTO SET button, and an amp in the rear, with no sub. There is a storage cubby there. Also a six disc changer in the armrest.

Steve have you read the reference sticky in audio? I think you will find what you need there. Accordingly to that, if it branded jbl it is an audiophile system. I. Just pulled the premium level out of my rig and replaced it with a didital media unit. It will not play cds, but am-fm, hands free phone, voice dialing, mp3, pandora, bluetooth, android, jump drrives, usb, patches, all good to go. So hit me up if anyone needs inffo.

EDIT: to clarify a bit, the premium level audio also has the AUTO SET button, and an amp in the rear, with no sub. There is a storage cubby there. Also a six disc changer in the armrest.

I did read it and didn't see the info I was looking for. It has JBL on the tape deck but that's it. No auto set on the face of the radio. I need to check the door speakers better and see what I can find. Thanks for the info everyone.

Steve I can't see too well on the android here, but under seek and to the right of scan what does that button say?

And if it would anyone I am posting the part # for my factory HU:
F57F-19B165-CG

Back