Hard to start after gas fill up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard to start after gas fill up

Do you have the part number for the "Vapor Management Valve"...my 2011 Explorer is doing the same thing...would this be covered under the emissions warranty? I have less than 50,000 on my vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum Coastguard2012.:salute:
I checked fordparts.com and did not see that actual part. I'm sure you can get the part number from the dealer's parts department. If you want it from the member who posted above, I suggest that you try sending him a Private Message. His last post on this forum was September 17, 2012.
Assuming that you didn't buy the ESP, your dealer should be able to tell you if this is a warranty repair.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming based on my search that a vapor management valve is a "Purge Control Valve". I did a search on "vapor" on the discounted Ford parts site that I buy from and found a few things.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...=VAPOR CANISTER&component=PURGE CONTROL VALVE

The Purge control Valve is a $10 part.

I've also found a "Vent Control Solenoid" for $35.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...group=EMISSION SYSTEM&subgroup=VAPOR CANISTER

Both parts are listed under the emissions section so based on that, my guess is that it would be covered.

I notice that on the new fords (I`m still waiting on my Explorer) such as the `13 Mustang. They do not come with a gas cap & my manual tells you to quit filling the tank when the pump clicks off. In other words, don`t keep trying to get that last "little bit" of gas in the tank. When the pump shuts off the first time, that`s it. if you keep trying to fill it, you could have starting/running problems.

I notice that on the new fords (I`m still waiting on my Explorer) such as the `13 Mustang. They do not come with a gas cap & my manual tells you to quit filling the tank when the pump clicks off. In other words, don`t keep trying to get that last "little bit" of gas in the tank. When the pump shuts off the first time, that`s it. if you keep trying to fill it, you could have starting/running problems.

That has always been the case. Pumps specifically say "Do not top off". I believe it has to do with the venting/vapor recovery that is covered/filled with fuel if you top off.

It is actually 2 clicks but what is 1 click between friends?:)

From the Owner's Guide, page 201.
• Allow no more than two automatic click–offs when filling.
Results are most accurate when the filling method is consistent.

Peter

Hard start after gassing up

I have a 2012 explorer. Every time I gas up its hard to start. I'm not getting any codes. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance for the help

If I had to guess, it sounds like fuel pump problem.

I have a 2012 explorer. Every time I gas up its hard to start. I'm not getting any codes. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance for the help
I merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. Check out posts 18 and 22.
BTWQ, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

2011 Ford Explorer engine startup concern

Hello everyone, I own a 2011 Explorer Limited for about 3 years and did about 140,000 km. It starts to have a problem to startup after I top-up the car in 3 months ago. It won't start after I top it up and shown the warning message of low oil pressure.

The car will start normally when I press the button again to try to start the car. The car will start normally until i top it up again. I replaced the battery in October and maintenance regularly.

I sent the car to the dealer for a check but they said nothing similar had been reported to ford before, and they didn't find any issue with the engine. They told me to replace the battery but the problem remains after i did so.

Please kindly advice me about the potential cause of such problem. Much appreciate!:)

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fuel-tank-warranties-extended-on-2006-chrysler-300-dodge-charger-and-magnum.html

My mother in law had the same issue on her 2005 300C. Bad thing about those is you have to replace the whole tank to fix the Chrysler issue.

Seems to be the same issue but luckily it sounds like you just have to replace a simple purge solenoid.

There are two valves/solenoids. One is on the engine to allow fuel vapor to run into the intake manifold. Part 7 on site below

The other is on the charcoal canister in front of the fuel tank (gonna have to go underneath for this one). Part 3 on site below. I think this is the one that is probably bad and stuck open allowing fuel to dump into the canister.

I think what is happening is you have liquid fuel in the canister and when you try to start it the evap system turns on and floods the engine.

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2011/ford/explorer/limited-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat

Deleted double post.

Hello everyone, I own a 2011 Explorer Limited for about 3 years and did about 140,000 km. It starts to have a problem to startup after I top-up the car in 3 months ago. It won't start after I top it up and shown the warning message of low oil pressure.

The car will start normally when I press the button again to try to start the car. The car will start normally until i top it up again. I replaced the battery in October and maintenance regularly.

I sent the car to the dealer for a check but they said nothing similar had been reported to ford before, and they didn't find any issue with the engine. They told me to replace the battery but the problem remains after i did so.

Please kindly advice me about the potential cause of such problem. Much appreciate!:)
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

The car will start normally until i top it up again.

One thing you never do in these vehicles is "top up" or "top off" by continuing to nurse more fuel into the tank by clicking the pump handle. When it clicks the first time, STOP.

You can damage the fuel evap system, requiring component replacement.

Saw this video and it shows a good way to test the purge valve on the intake manifold:

I agree. After the first click, if I start pumping again, gas starts to spill behind the wheel from somewhere unknown.

I agree. After the first click, if I start pumping again, gas starts to spill behind the wheel from somewhere unknown.
It seems the fueling procedure has changed. Up until the 2016 model the Manual states to stop after the 2nd auto click-off. The 2016 Manual states to stop after the first. I have always stopped after the 2nd click-off without any issues. I always wait about 10 seconds between the two. I also do not pull the nozzle out a little before the 2nd attempt. Doing that could lead to fuel spilling.

Peter

It seems the fueling procedure has changed. Up until the 2016 model the Manual states to stop after the 2nd auto click-off. The 2016 Manual states to stop after the first. I have always stopped after the 2nd click-off without any issues. I always wait about 10 seconds between the two. I also do not pull the nozzle out a little before the 2nd attempt. Doing that could lead to fuel spilling.

Peter

I guess Ford is hopping all around on this procedure. From my 2000 Ranger manual:

"Allow three automatic click-offs when filling."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing you never do in these vehicles is "top up" or "top off" by continuing to nurse more fuel into the tank by clicking the pump handle. When it clicks the first time, STOP.

You can damage the fuel evap system, requiring component replacement.

I stop when it clicks the first time. I never press again once it stops.

I tried to fuel to 3/4 today and it starts normal.. I will send my vehicle to the dealership again. May I know what is the parts number of the valve?

Back