List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

How can they deny?!?

HOW is Ford denying they need to do these repairs?!? Isn't what's happening considered CORROSION and according to their chart that is 5 years/unlimited miles?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HOW is Ford denying they need to do these repairs?!? Isn't what's happening considered CORROSION and according to their chart that is 5 years/unlimited miles?!?

Read the warranty. PERFORATION = A hole, not surface.

Thanks Meagan, the Explorer is in the body shop as we speak. Hoping to have it back tomorrow. The dealer has been a little slow in moving the process along, but thankfully I haven't had to fight for them to cover this, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

Glad to hear it! :D

Meagan

Dealer repairs completed today. They repainted it in-house and it looks great. Hopefully I won't have to think about this again.

For what it's worth, this was completely covered under warranty-my 2014 has 34,000 miles. I'm VERY glad I caught this before 36K!

Finally got mine back after a week. Dealer put a dent in my 2R door in the process.

They replaced the hood and painted it and I picked it up last night. Few dirt nibs but I'll get that taken care of later.

Take a look at it today and the new paint looks duller than the 3 year old paint. Tint is way off. Ruby red metallic is sorta cherry looking but this paint looks almost watermelon. Not vibrant at all.

I've seen an independent paint shop match my 16 year old Ranger paint without blending any panels.

Looks like I'm out of a car again. They gave me a complementary rental for dinging the door, I guess they are gonna have to do it again.

2013 Sport here, has the issue.

We're out of warranty, but just only noticed this last week. It's my wife's car, and it looks like it's been there awhile. (Garage kept)

Will get pic's when suitable, but it looks like all the other pic's that have been posted.

Mike

True, but the Model 3 will be priced below the Explorer. What excuse will Ford have at that time?

At what price do we deserve fair treatment?

Not to side track...
I'm also joining the EV bandwagon and placed my deposit just below the 200K sign up mark and with all of the options I want (autopilot, higher capacity battery etc...); I'm already looking at 50K plus after taxes and that's with the $14K rebate from our Provincial gov (hoping it's not cancelled in 2019-2020; when I realistically expect delivery).

Hood Edge Corrosion

Glad to hear it! :D

Meagan

What is the solution with this. My 2013 Sport is getting worse with paint now falling off from the corrosion blisters on the front of the hood? 70,000 miles but less than 5 years. Why doesn't Ford want to step up and take care of this?

What is the solution with this. My 2013 Sport is getting worse with paint now falling off from the corrosion blisters on the front of the hood? 70,000 miles but less than 5 years. Why doesn't Ford want to step up and take care of this?
If you read through the posts you'll find that there really is no solution to the problem. You can take it to your dealer to see if Ford will cover all or part of the repair or you can have it done at your expense. My bet would be on the latter. Even some repainted hoods have had the issue reoccur after a period of time. Good luck.

Peter

Hood Corrosion Bubbles 2013 Sport

LEts see if these pictures come up of the corrosion
IMG_1238_zpsbzg5ruli.jpg.html

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/29ster/media/IMG_1238_zpsbzg5ruli.jpg.html
http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/29ster/media/IMG_1241_zpsopj4urf2.jpg.html?o=154
IMG_1239_zpscsqemquy.jpg.html
IMG_1241_zpsopj4urf2.jpg.html

Dealer tells me I'm SOL because there is no hole in the hole from rust. I had to explain to him that aluminum does not rust and the corrosion is the same thing. Next step is to try and get ahold of Fields.

Im getting in here, Mine is getting really bad, Ford wont do squat. Im surprised there hasnt been a lawsuit on all these paint issues.

All the explorers in my area are so bad that I can see the bubble even when they are oncoming traffic.

I actually talked to Ford today and they have offered to pay 2/3 of the cost, leaving me with a little over $200. Just keep trying.

Hood Corrosion Bubbles 2013 Sport

I actually talked to Ford today and they have offered to pay 2/3 of the cost, leaving me with a little over $200. Just keep trying.

29ster here. I'm meeting with Chapman Ford body shop on Monday. They contacted me. After my first bad experience with a Corporate Ford customer service rep, (who in my opinion was only reading from a rejection script given to her and not listen to me regardless of what I explained), now I'm working with Ford Rep Nikki who also called me and is being very helpful. In fact she even gave me her contact phone number to call her if I need help. Kudo's for Nikki!
I'll keep everyone informed as to what happens next, but I'm keeping my faith that Ford will do the right thing by their lifelong customer of many Ford vehicles including my 1929 ford Roadster. (still)....:feedback::feedback:

Finally got mine back after a week. Dealer put a dent in my 2R door in the process.

They replaced the hood and painted it and I picked it up last night. Few dirt nibs but I'll get that taken care of later.

Take a look at it today and the new paint looks duller than the 3 year old paint. Tint is way off. Ruby red metallic is sorta cherry looking but this paint looks almost watermelon. Not vibrant at all.

I've seen an independent paint shop match my 16 year old Ranger paint without blending any panels.

Looks like I'm out of a car again. They gave me a complementary rental for dinging the door, I guess they are gonna have to do it again.

Got my Explorer back today after 2nd attempt to match paint. Overcast again.

As I was pulling it into the driveway, wife says did they paint the whole front end.

They blended the fenders and didn't ask me (pisses me off) and the color is still off. So now 1/3 of the car is a different color.

How hard is it to match Ruby Red Metallic?

Dealer says they are gonna bring the paint rep in, again, to look at it.

Got my Explorer back today after 2nd attempt to match paint. Overcast again.

As I was pulling it into the driveway, wife says did they paint the whole front end.

They blended the fenders and didn't ask me (pisses me off) and the color is still off. So now 1/3 of the car is a different color.

How hard is it to match Ruby Red Metallic?

Dealer says they are gonna bring the paint rep in, again, to look at it.

That is a very big problem not only for Ford but other brands too. I have been reading 100's of pages from Lexus, BMW forums just for fun. If there is small scratch or dent when the car is almost brand new, the chances of them matching your paint exactly is a hit or miss. Lots of times people even refuse to fix the small ding or a scratch because the door piece or fender would not match perfectly. Does the painter have any experience with matching tri coat?

My MKT received damage to the front right fender and scuffs to the bumper in a parking lot. Fender received scratches/gouges to the lower front corner. The fender was completely repainted after repair and it is a perfect match to the rest of the vehicle. Crystal Champagne Metallic Tri-Coat.
I would imagine that a Ruby Red Metallic would be more difficult to match perfectly, especially on a 3 year old vehicle. Hopefully they will get it right.

Peter

That is a very big problem not only for Ford but other brands too. I have been reading 100's of pages from Lexus, BMW forums just for fun. If there is small scratch or dent when the car is almost brand new, the chances of them matching your paint exactly is a hit or miss. Lots of times people even refuse to fix the small ding or a scratch because the door piece or fender would not match perfectly. Does the painter have any experience with matching tri coat?

I don't know what the experience level is but I don't feel too confident in the guy doing it.

The fender that they "blended" was really blended at all. They just sprayed the same color as the hood on the fenders and covered them 100%.

I'm really pissed they painted the fenders without my consent (didn't even call me) . They were only suppose to paint the hood only.

If a supplier can get the bumper color so damn close why can't a painter with the car present be able to?

Just noticed this issue on my 15 Sport. Bought it July of 14 has, 33K on it, wife's daily driver. Was walking around it this morning and I noticed what looked like a small ripple. Only reason I noticed it was from the hood being wet from the rain. Brushed away the water and noticed a nickle sized area bubbling up and another smaller bubble to the left of that one. No chips, dings, or scratches near the two spots. Going to call the dealer inthe in the morning. Good to know, at least, this is a known issue. Didn't get to take pics yet.

After looking at my paint again and pulling 2013 ford paint codes, I'm thinking the dealer used the wrong paint code.

Mine is ruby red metallic and it looks like the shade/color they did is red candy 2 metallic. Very close but the red candy looks more pinkish maroon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for matching paint, never trust a dealer run paint/body shop. You need true pros who do it all the time for these new paints. Even then, many body shops that do it all the time are not too good. I have one excellent one that I know will get it right if I need them. However, if it is Ford calling where the job gets done, it will be hit or miss.

Back