How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, the 2013 Explorer has a new 3rd row light.

Backlit PowerFold switches too!

New optics and new bulb..........not sure if its bright enough because I haven't seen it in the dark yet.

You may wish to hold off until you see it as an option for replacement of the 11/12MY 3rd row.

Sgt1411 said:

New optics and new bulb..........not sure if its bright enough because I haven't seen it in the dark yet.

You may wish to hold off until you see it as an option for replacement of the 11/12MY 3rd row.

Does it look like the same housing? If so that sounds good but might take some time before those parts hit a dealer

Yes, to me the housing looks the same.

Great news, did they incorporate a new light in the back of the hatch?

This might end up being the best option, unless we can confirm the Focus lights will work. I just haven't had the time to check on that yet.

Great news, did they incorporate a new light in the back of the hatch?

No it's not in the hatch its in the exact same place as ours. Just a different bulb and different optics to light the cargo area better.

Unfortunately I saw it in the daytime and couldn't really compare the actual light level to ours.

It wouldn't be that hard to add a couple of rectangle white lights on the hatch either. Just need to grab same power wire as 3rd row light so when hatch is activated it turns on the lights.

Tiny bit of progress

I received my LEDs in the mail today and installed some of them. I've run into similar issues as other people.

I had no problems with the map lights and the rear license plate bulbs.

Puddle lamps are sealed and I'm not interested in cutting them apart just yet. Maybe I will buy some replacement parts to take apart from fordparts.com they are $30.65 each, ehhh maybe not.

I have no bulb in the glove box, I have an XLT so maybe that's not an option?

I also don't have a moon-roof so now I'm stuck without replacement LEDs for my 2nd and 3rd row lights. Hopefully someone figures it out soon.

Lastly, I was about to replace the sun-visor bulbs and noticed they look smaller than the map lights. Anyone have the bulb number for that one?

I received my LEDs in the mail today and installed some of them. I've run into similar issues as other people.

I had no problems with the map lights and the rear license plate bulbs.

Puddle lamps are sealed and I'm not interested in cutting them apart just yet. Maybe I will buy some replacement parts to take apart from fordparts.com they are $30.65 each, ehhh maybe not.

I have no bulb in the glove box, I have an XLT so maybe that's not an option?

I also don't have a moon-roof so now I'm stuck without replacement LEDs for my 2nd and 3rd row lights. Hopefully someone figures it out soon.

Lastly, I was about to replace the sun-visor bulbs and noticed they look smaller than the map lights. Anyone have the bulb number for that one?

I PMed another member on this forum today and he said he used: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/74-xHP3.html

You could also use this one: http://www.amazon.com/SMT-Mini-Wedg...QGR8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326488046&sr=8-4

2nd and 3rd row LED

I was looking at the pictures of the 2nd and 3rd row LED and noticed something. FLEXAUTOMOTIVE, I did a Google search and found a company of the same name that might manufacture these particular parts. Not sure if anyone has done so but I sent them an email to see if they are the manufacturer and if they can create a new part.

I highly doubt they will respond but I'm bored at work and figured why not ask.

Lets us know about any findings for the lighting, curious?

I'm very much interested in this. I live in the US so f anyone as sourced the bulbs from local merchants (autozone, oreilys, etc) please share part#, etc.

A guide would be cool pointing out location and bulb used.

Swapped out my map lights for LEDs and now my visor lights and 2nd and 3rd row lights no longer work. Any suggestions (other than switching back to original bulbs)?

Hopefully CDN_Explorer doesn't mind me posting a photo to his thread. I thought while I was swapping out my bulbs a photo of the map light cover would be helpful for those wondering what is holding it in place and where...
5ac06056.jpg

Thanks to CDN_Explorer for the OP. Made my job much smoother.

well, i can only confirm that the focus interior lights are bright white and not yellowish...my wife got a 2012 focus and i love her interior lights.... when i get a chance to have both vehicles here at home at the same time, i'll try to pick it apart quickly to where she doesn't know..hehe.... also, her license plate lights are the same bright white color....if all the bulbs interchange, i'm definitely hitting up the parts dept.

i will definitely try to do this but no guarantees cause my son has been sick, so someone may end up finding out before i do....

I can confirm the 2012 focus lighting as well. We just picked up an SE last month and interior lighting and rear plates are lighted with bright whites, very nice.

I would like to know if the bulbs are interchangeable for our 11 xlt.

I've been meaning to go to the dealership to check out the Focus interior lights but just haven't got around to it. I need an oil change pretty soon, so I'll check it out then if someone else hasn't already determined if they can fit in our 2nd and 3rd row.

I know this is a little off topic for this thread, but figured it was related to the LED swap...

For those with the dual moon roof and who have swapped out the bulbs for LEDS and now have the issue of the third row (cargo area) light that stays on. I was curious how your light acts when it stays on. Like many others my cargo light will stay on for about 10 minutes after I shut off the car and exit. Not ideal, but I can live with that since it does shut off. When I get in and start the engine the cargo light will shut off for a few seconds, then flash a few times, then shut off for about a minute, then begin flashing again, then turn on and stay on. Is that the same the others are seeing?

Also, for what it's worth, my cargo light did not stay on after I swapped out the bulbs for LEDS until I changed the settings for the duration of the lights to stay on upon exiting the Explorer. I really doubt it's related based on others saying they are having issues and some having issues without even doing the swap. But I'm curious if it could be somehow related with the systems onboard and the changing of intervals, timers, or charges used in capacitors (ideas made without looking into the electrical system of the X).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't have that happen, my 3rd row would stay on for 10+ min or more not good for driving at night. I did the complete swap of all LEDs except the puddles, with no resolution, I removed all LEDs except license plate, back to OEM bulbs. Hopefully the new Focus lights will help

Back