How To: Installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge

Parts needed and cost:
SunPro Water/Oil Temp Guage(Advance Auto) $16.96
3/8 Galvanized Tee $3.50+/-
3/8 Flare(male)/3/8 Pipe Thread(male) Connector $1.49 x2
3/8 Flare Nut $ .79 x2
Wire splice connector

Tools Needed:
Drill
Tubing Cutter
Tubing Flare Tool

Explorer_001.jpg
In this pic I have fittings to connect to the rubber hose coming from secondary cooler. This location did not give very accurate reading so I moved location of sensor to before main radiator.

Remove center console compartment area by just it pulling up. Drill hole in upper compartment large enough to get sending unit threw. Run cable and wires threw hole and mount guage. On '98 XLT there is a wire harness connector behind console compartment. Locate red wire with black strip, this goes to dimmer switch. Use a wire splice connector and attach red wire from guage to the red w/black strip wire. Attach ground wire from guage to metal bracket that holds side of center console. Run cable from guage threw back of console and out by gas pedal.

Explorer_010.jpg

Explorer_006.jpg

Run cable up and over brake pedal and steering column. Locate where emergancy brake cable goes threw firewall. Remove rubber gromet from firewall and make a small cut, run sending unit and nut threw gromet.
Explorer_009.jpg

Locate where cable went threw firewall under the hood. Look directly under brake master cylinder. Pull excess cable threw firewall (you may want help feeding cable from inside so as not to kink line).
Remove tranny lines from radiator, you need to remove both so you can pull upper line up enough to cut. You may want to use a small pan to catch tranny fluid that will leak from lower line. With tubing cutter cut upper line about 3in from lower bend. On lower part of line that was just cut cut again about 2in down.
Explorer_008.jpg

On both ends of line install Flare Nut and use flare tool for 3/8 tubing and flare ends. Lowe's has flare tool for around $10.
Use pipe tape on all threads. Insert the 3/8 Flare(male)/3/8 Pipe Thread(male) Connector into tee. Insert 3/8 adapter that comes with guage for the sending unit. Install tee on lower line and then install upper part of line onto tee. Reattach tranny lines to radiator. Insert sending unit into tee (be carefull not to overtighten, adapter that comes with guage is very soft brass, I stripped it and had to but another guage just for the adapter). Use wire ties to secure cable from guage.
Explorer_011.jpg

Go for a short drive to warm transmission and check level of tranny fluid.
Let me know if this is helpfull and if I need to change anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice write up man ill be doing this after i get my tranny situation under control...

Maybe Im missing something, but you say to install flare fittings, but Im looking at barb fittings in your pics. Using these barb fitting, couldnt you install this temp gauge in line with the aux cooler. Mine are done with rubber hose so....

Where you have the sensor, is that in the line that goes back to trany or coming from trany?

THANKS. I always appreciate a good photo illustrated how to thread !!

Gonna sticky this a bit to insure it gets adequate exposure for the work you put into it!

Maybe Im missing something, but you say to install flare fittings, but Im looking at barb fittings in your pics. Using these barb fitting, couldnt you install this temp gauge in line with the aux cooler. Mine are done with rubber hose so....

I explained in thread that I first installed it at the secondary cooler but could not get an accurate reading(temp. was too cold on the downside of both coolers to get reading on guage). I moved it upstream of the radiator and know I get the temp coming out of the tranny.

I had to use the galvonized tee in order to get clearence for the sending unit to allow better flow threw the tee. The 3/8 galvonized tee is bigger than the 3/8 brass tee.

I had to use the galvonized tee in order to get clearence for the sending unit to allow better flow threw the tee. The 3/8 galvonized tee is bigger than the 3/8 brass tee.

Yeah, the brass "probe manifold" T is an expensive part--about 25 bux, It has to have a real deep center neck for the probe.
Good idea!!!!

Great write up.

Great write up! Love the pics!

Good write up. Mines going in once I finish the tranny leak. Would the pan have a more accurate reading then in the tranny line like your set up.

ExploreingNC, Is the gauge you used mechanical or electric? Great deal for $16

I see that this thread is a sticky in the transmission section as well as in this towing section. This was the first time that I saw this done on this forum.

I thought I'd try it, I copied the thread- so it appears in both. Just seeing how it works out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back