Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just Another Fn V8 Swap Thread

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by ntp7001, August 8, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ntp7001

ntp7001 New Member

City, State:
      Northeast PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport Trac Job2
      Hello,

I have been on this site a few years reading through the different threads, and I have found a lot of useful information here. I thank you all.

I am looking to do a V8 swap into my 2001 Sport Trac (Job2). She has 256,000 miles on here and I am on my 3rd transmission. Now that I have another vehicle I would like to take my Sporty off the road and give her a serious upgrade.

I am not looking to get a donor vehicle because I just do not have the space to keep it. Although it might be a little more work I would prefer to source my parts from local yards and Craigslist.

Now, before I start to get in over my head I better let everyone know that I already have a wiring harness and computer from a 97 V8 Explorer. The more I start going over the threads on this forum again, I think I may have made a mistake acquiring these 2 items. Mostly I have read about fuel rails and PATS. Can someone please point out the advantages or disadvantages of using a 1997 Explorer?

There is no hurry starting this project as I may wait until the spring to actually begin the swap. In the meantime though I was going to continue to source the parts I need such as a the tranny, engine, transfer case, 3.55 rear axle. and possibly driveshafts. My main concern is whether I should be using a wiring harness and computer that I have already sourced.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks all.

Neal

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      If I remember correct the 97 does not have pats so that helps on that. I ran a 97 computer for a little while when my pats computer went down. It did not run perfect seemed due to 2 vs 3 wire distributor pick up not advancing the timing correctly. As far as the fuel rails I think mine had to be changed, read my N2ford thread on here.

4. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I run a 97 v8 computer in my 01 ranger. The wiring will be cake as long as you have the 97 transmission harness and run a tcase with a gear driven vss.

The main difference will be the fuel system. 98 and before is return and 99+ returnless. I had to convert my ranger over to a 98 sending unit and run a return line from the fuel rail.

5. 01STrunner

01STrunner Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greer, SC
      2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    6. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      $200 for the 351windsor, C6 and 1356 manual t-case. Need them gone asap.

7. ntp7001

ntp7001 New Member

City, State:
      Northeast PA
      2001 Sport Trac Job2
      I wouldn't feel to confident swapping that it in. How would the engine wire harness work with it? If I knew how to do it I would consider it...especially since I will be out your way in a few weeks to move my daughter to Ohio.

***Update...my Sporty's tranny died over the weekend. I knew it was going...2-3 flare...and Overdrive issues, I just didn't expect it to go this quickly. That was my third transmission. So I am either doing the swap or junk it. At first I was ready to junk it. I was very pissd. It was blowing tranny fluid all over the road. I haven't had a chance to see where it was leaking from yet, regardless though I may just park it and start pulling the engine and trans.***